Backup HDD OS X multiple computer security

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wcj912, Jun 12, 2007.

1. wcj912 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an external hard disk drive (LaCie 250GB desktop d2 extreme drive) which I want to use as a backup disk for 2 or more computers. I'll try to explain the question as best as possible.

If I connect the drive to computer 1 (mac), add a folder and files to the the drive, then attach the drive to computer 2 (mac), is it possible to prevent computer 2 from accessing the files put there by computer 1. Another words, is there a way that the user on each computer can access/read/write only their own files when the drive is connected to their computer. Each of the computers are networked, but I do not want to mount the drive through the network. I would rather want to connect each computer to the drive individually.

Each of the computers run Mac OS X from 10.2 to 10.4.9 (not server).

Thank you in advance for a solution to my problem. I have not sure if any third party software is capable of carrying out this function.

Cheers.

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

How about creating a password protected encrypted read/write sparse disk image for each computer on the external. That way each user can open their disk image using their password, but none of the others.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

great idea that is!!!! i cant think of anything better, go with his idea.

4. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Just enable permissions on the external volume. It's a checkbox in the get info window.

5. wcj912 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your help! Its been much appreciated.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

make sure that "ignore ownership" tickbox ISNT ticked lol. that would be a bit pointless haha