Backup help before Upgrade to SL then Lion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sclawis300, Aug 10, 2011.

1. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

I am unclear about a few things. Any help would be appreciated.

I am getting ready to upgrade both my imac and my macbook to SL from Leopard and then I will upgrade the macbook to Lion. I plan on making a clone of the HD using Carbon Copy. Here is where I have a few questions.

1. If I wipe the HD and do a clean install of SL, can I then pull all the info off my last time machine backup? (is there anything that is not backed up by TM?)

2. If I have Fusion, can I get the Windows OS off of the TM backup?

3. If not, should I just do an upgrade to SL instead of a clean instal, or is there some other way to get my Windows OS back on the computer if I lost the disc, like from the clone that I make (it has been like 2.5 years and I have no idea what the codes are even if I do find the discs).

2. sclawis300 thread starter macrumors 65816

well this has turned into quite the cluster. I tried to clone my macbook drive, but could not since there was not enough room on either partition of my external HD. No problem I thought. WRONG. The upper partition was too small, but had nothing on it and the lower partition (when viewing via disk utility) was large enough, but had other data on it. Just resize, right? NOPE. Can't make either partition larger without deleting the lower partition.

I finally trimmed down my TM backups so I can clone it to the upper partition, but that is not working either.