Resolved Backup HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mongeer, Jan 7, 2016.

1. mongeer macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I'm looking for OSX compatible software that can do this:

I work off of my computers internal drive (let's call it A), and an external drive (B).
    I have two external drives (C and D) that I want to use as backup drives.

I want to backup
    1: specific files on internal drive (A) to external drive (B) without it affecting the rest of the files on (B).
    2: the entire internal drive (A) to external drive (C)
    3: the entire external drive (B) to external drive (C)
    4: the entire external drive (B) to external drive (D), while not affecting the rest of the files since this disc is shared with my homie.

...and of course only copying new/modified files each time I do a backup.

Tried googling but can't find any software that does this. Tried both CCC, superduper! and Time Machine but couldn't make any of these do the trick.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,
    M

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

CCC will do everything that you want. However, you will need to copy the files on drives C and D and the partition them with a partition for CCC to work to, and a partition to copy back the files that were already on them. After you've done that, CCC will do what you want.

3. mongeer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying!

So I need to make two partitions on C, one for backup coming from A and one for backup coming from B?

EDIT: Also, for disk B, don't I then have to repartition that too?

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Yes, one for the files that support A and one for the A specific files. CCC can do Folder to Folder backups, but I'm not sure that is what you have in mind. If you have 2 partitions on B then you will have to take that into consideration when you do an ENTIRE B to C since entire B is 2 partitions (which could mean 3 partitions on C).
    Here is the CCC instructions pdf for details.

5. mongeer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Folder-to-folder does not affect any other files on the destination drive right? Then step 1, 3 and 4 could actually be done folder by folder saving me all this partitioning (except for making two partitions on drive C).

6. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Correct, folder to folder does not effect the other files on the destination drive. I wasn't clear that specific files would be conveniently grouped in a single folder. It is a great way to backup just a Pictures or a Music folder to some appropriately named folder on the destination drive. CCC has a fully functional 30 day trial so you could do some experiments.

7. mongeer thread starter macrumors newbie

The answer is then making two partitions on drive C. And let step 2 be a bootable clone, while doing step 1, 3 and 4 folder-to-folder. Actually seems pretty simple now.

Almost thought I would have to keep backing everything up manually before posting. Thanks guys!!

8. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Not true, you can schedule the backups with CCC. Check out the instructions I linked to in past #4.