Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
Yes, I should remember how to do this, indeed, I should never forget how to do this, but I've been without a laptop for 2 months (R.I.P. pantherized iBook G4), I'm out of practice, bleary-eyed, low tech inclined, and my searches of MR haven't turned up a guide yet.

Is there a way to backup my entire system -- applications, music and photo files, documents, etc., etc. -- using Tiger 10.4.8?

Thanks and be gentle....

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
External hard drive?? No clue.

Maybe a procedure that involves CD's, archive/zip, a burn folder....? With e-z 1,2,3 steps, short words and lotza pictures? Like I said, a Guide. ;)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
GITANAJAVA said:
BTW, Munkle, the Superduper sounds fab, a perfect tool a well-prepared person would already have on hand. So, as soon as I do the task at hand, I'll order one up or run across town to buy one.

Before you do, you'll need to make sure you have a firewire hard disk of some sort, something like this. Sorry I'm not able to write a guide but the SuperDuper support documentation is pretty good :)

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
No way was I expecting you to WRITE me a Guide, but I did hope that some MR long-timer could point me to a backup Guide that already exists at MR. Sorry for the miscommunication!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Okay, let's back up a step. Can you please answer these questions:

1) What kind of Mac do you have?
2) Do you have any external hard drives or more than one hard drive?
3) What kind of optical drive do you have?
4) If you have multiple options, onto what would you most prefer to backup?
5) Do you want to be able to boot from the backup?
6) Do you want to be able to selectively add files to the backup so that you can later do partial backups or keep the backup in sync with the Mac rather than making a new backup?

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
mkrishnan said:
Okay, let's back up a step. Can you please answer these questions:

1) What kind of Mac do you have?
2) Do you have any external hard drives or more than one hard drive?
3) What kind of optical drive do you have?
4) If you have multiple options, onto what would you most prefer to backup?
5) Do you want to be able to boot from the backup?
6) Do you want to be able to selectively add files to the backup so that you can later do partial backups or keep the backup in sync with the Mac rather than making a new backup?

Backing up even as we speak.....

1) P'Book G4 (ver. 10.4.8), titanium, 12-in. (the last 2 times I corrected my MR signature, the Airport signal drops)
2) If s.o. will tell me what an external hard drive is &/or where I find that information, I'd be delighted to answer this particular query.
3) Huh?
4)As I said earlier, I have CD's & I kinda sorta understand .dmg, .zip/archive, and the new burn folder feature in Tiger.
5) I'm experiencing some minor tech difficulties with iTunes & iPhoto, and thus, the P'book is going to the repair center as soon as I can back up EVERYTHING. So, if that means I need to re-boot from the backup when the laptop returns from the shop, the answer is Yes.
6) My apologies, but I don't know what you mean here. :eek:

Thank you & namaste!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Okay, so for what it's worth, a 12" Powerbook is aluminum, not titanium. There were no 12" Ti PBs. But in any event, do you know if it has a "superdrive" or a "combo drive?" Most of them have superdrives. And if it does, it can burn DVDs, and it will be a lot less painful on you, because DVDs hold so much more data than CDs.

In any event, try this:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmoguides/backup/index.shtml

In this article, it discusses a free utility called SilverKeeper that will probably make burning your stuff to multiple DVD-Rs (or if you have to, CDRs) easier...

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
Hello, all -- I will check back later for some more input. Have to dash now, it's late and I'm tired. Meanwhile, thanks everyone!

With a hopeful gleam in the eye......

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
mkrishnan said:
Okay, so for what it's worth, a 12" Powerbook is aluminum, not titanium. There were no 12" Ti PBs. But in any event, do you know if it has a "superdrive" or a "combo drive?" Most of them have superdrives. And if it does, it can burn DVDs, and it will be a lot less painful on you, because DVDs hold so much more data than CDs.

In any event, try this:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmoguides/backup/index.shtml

In this article, it discusses a free utility called SilverKeeper that will probably make burning your stuff to multiple DVD-Rs (or if you have to, CDRs) easier...

You say aluminum, I say aluminium ;-)

Thanks for the link, will read it, back tomorrow ASAP.

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
Temujin said:
:rolleyes: WoooooooW......that made my head hurt

If that made your head hurt, just imagine what it did to mine! :rolleyes:

MK, here's some info from my system profiler__

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 12"
Machine Model: PowerBook6,1
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 867 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
Memory: 384 MB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.5.5f4

f that doesn't bring me a wee bit closer to completely answering your questions, I have info from http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html.

Again, thank you, mates for the assist. You rock!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.