backup iLife 09 from hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jakeopolis, Sep 6, 2009.

1. jakeopolis macrumors member

hi all,

my mom has lost the installation discs for her macbook, which includes iLife 09. she has the software installed, but i'd like to back it up in case it needs to be reinstalled. other than copying the app files themselves, is there anything else i need to copy (plugins for imovie, for example)?

thanks!

p.s. this IS for legitimate backup, not trying to steal software!

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Time Machine the drive, and it can restore all of it back on the computer.

3. jakeopolis thread starter macrumors member

the drive does get regular time machine backups, but i want to create just a backup of ilife in case just that software needs to be reinstalled, rather than restoring an entire TM backup. another way to think about it would be which files in particular would i restore from TM to fix a busted ilife.

4. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

If you have a MobileMe account, you can get a good backup program on the site, and back up a particular program. Other wise, you may want to consider buying another copy, so you have the disk.

5. jakeopolis thread starter macrumors member

no mobileme account

it's really just a matter of burning the necessary files to a DVD and sticking that in a drawer, just in case. obviously i need the apps themselves, but the question is do i need to copy anything else.

6. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Program, plist, ect. Not sure where all are put, short of using an uninstaller to see them.

7. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace