Backup "ipad pro" to PowerMac G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by fymbscu, Apr 17, 2017.

1. fymbscu macrumors newbie

I have acquired a new Ipad Pro and want to back it up to my MDD PowerMac G4. I run tiger mostly, but have leopard available also. The older versions of iTunes in these OS' are not even allowed to download the docs for the Ipad Pro by Apple. As to why, I don't understand.

Surely, I should be able to backup to my Mac, right? If I don't power up the Ipad Pro, what prevents it from being recognized/mounted as a "flash drive?"

Any help greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Mark Harrison

2. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Sadly, the old iTunes version just can't recognize the newer iPad. The new iPads don't support being recognized as a flash drive either. There's no way to do this. :(

OTHER THAN getting an iPad 1 ;)

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You can't. Why? Because Apple wants to sell you a newer Mac with a newer OS.

The last iOS version that a PowerPC Mac could back up using iTunes was iOS 6 on 30-pin devices only. That means iPhone 4s and below.

If you upgrade an iPhone 4 or 4s to iOS 7 (or 8 or 9 in the case of the 4s), even though those are 30-pin devices, you can no longer sync/backup to a PowerPC Mac. No Lightning cable using iDevice can back up to ANY PowerPC Mac.

Apple included the hooks to back up in iTunes 10.6.4, but they disabled the process and no PowerPC Mac can run iTunes 10.6.4 or higher. Later versions removed the hooks entirely.

I'm sorry. If you want to back up to iTunes you will need either a PC or a Intel Mac capable of running the latest version of iTunes. iOS 8 ended support for Snow Leopard Macs by the way. You need Lion or above for syncing with devices running iOS 8 and you need Mavericks minimum for iOS 9.2 and above.

See how Apple gets you to buy? It's intentional.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8871
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2017 ---
    Well…depending.

I have an iPad Air 2 jailbroken on iOS 8.1. I have Netatalk installed. Apple File Sharing, letting me mount my iPad's filesystem as a drive share.

Of course, Netatalk is broken in iOS 9. :(

4. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

Windows XP, or Windows 7 with Virtual PC... I think it could work and I am SURE I read somewhere somebody managed to do that

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't believe VPC will work.

I tried that once and never got anywhere. The underlying architecuture (OS X) doesn't allow the device to be recognized even if Win7 running in VPC would otherwise recognize the device.

6. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

I think it would be simpler and faster to just get your hands on a computer that could run the latest version of iTunes. Anything with Windows 7 and OS X 10.9+ should suffice. If it's jailbroken, you can always copy stuff off (to a certain extent) via iFile and good ol' WebDAV. As for PPC Macs and anything above iOS 7 and God forbid Lightning connector devices, you're toast. Maybe you can somehow do some USB mounting if you're on Linux and run a virtual machine there but if it works, it's not really practical. The time it would take to actually get the OS up and running would probably be 10x longer than if you just go look for a cheap PC running Win 7.

7. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Well, this is a brand new iPad Pro, so I'd assume it's running iOS 10. :p

8. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

It won't work, so why not just back up to iCloud? It's much more convenient.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Because iCloud only gives you 5GB of space.