Backup iPhoto Photos on External Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 93BlackSVT, Nov 14, 2010.

1. 93BlackSVT macrumors member

I am brand new to Macs as of this past week. I have imported all of my photos to iPhoto. I have made some changes and want to get everything backed up to my external drive. How can I accomplish this? When going to iPhoto, I noticed the Share > Burn option, but this appears to be only for CDs/DVDs. I also tried simply highlighting all of my "Events" folders and dragging them to external drive, but it would not allow me to do this. Any best practices out there for this?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Either use Time Machine with an external HDD or simply copy the iPhoto Library file from Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Pictures / iPhoto / to wherever you want if you want to backup the entire library.

Or do you mean something else?

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

Mac OS X Basics

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

"How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer.

3. 93BlackSVT thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I realize I can backup the entire iPhoto library, but it appears everything gets renamed in that folder (Masters). In iPhoto (and on my previous machine), I have all of my "events" sorted by date and then a description of them in parenthesis (i.e. 2010-07-04 (4th of July)). However, when viewing the Masters folder within the iPhoto library, this does not exist; it was renamed to something else. The names of all of my folders now begin with yesterday's date (assuming because that is when I imported them). I am simply looking for a way to back up all of my photos to my external drive and keep the names of the folders intact (since they are named completely different within the iPhoto Masters folder).

4. 93BlackSVT thread starter macrumors member

Also, when I tried to copy the "iPhoto Library" folder to my external hard drive, it would not let me do so. When I hovered the file over my external hard drive, it turned into a small circle with a line through it and did not do anything when I let go of the button.

5. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

you can just copy the photos in your folder structure to the external. you'll just have to do this everytime you create a new event.

you can also import the photos into iphoto without copying the originals to the iphoto library. that way you can manage the folder structures yourself.

6. 93BlackSVT thread starter macrumors member

From what I can find, I will need to format my external hard drive before anything will work to Mac OS Extended? Does anyone know if Windows recognizes this format as well? I ask because I've always used this drive to back up our Windows machine and now I would like to do the same thing with my new Mac. Will it be possible to back up both machines using this drive or am I going to have to buy a new external HD to work with the Mac?