Backup Iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer446, Nov 5, 2007.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

I am doing a fresh install of osx.. I want to backup all of my pictures.. Is it possible to keep Iphoto on my fresh install looking exactly the same, (keeping albums, slideshows, books) or is there only one way to do it, file export? I will be upgrading to ilife 08 from ilife 06 in the process

2. laryter macrumors newbie

Another issue with IPhoto (06 and 08) and Leopard...help someone.

I know I am not answering your question directly, but maybe someone will be able to help us both out. When I installed Leopard and tried to move my IPhoto directory onto my hard drive from an external 500gb so that I would have that available for TM, I have obviously done something wrong.

I have Ilife 06, having bought it 2 months before they put out ILife 08 (it would have been nice if someone had told me it was coming out and I would have waitied....anyway..) now when I try to redirect the Iphoto program to the new location on the installed drive, no matter whether I tried importing the photos into the newly created drive or by creating a new IPhoto directory and then copying the photos into it, all of my folders have disappeared and I have now 5000+ photos all sitting in the library.

As I scoll down the word 2007 just appears over all the photos. I don't know now if I have to manually recreate all the directories and move them over (this is going to be very time consuming) or if I purchase the ILife08 (from reading all the posts about it) what I can do then?

If anyone can help me on this and your questions I would be very grateful.

Thanks

3. ahmed.hassan macrumors member

jer446:

I would suggest installing iPhoto '08 BEFORE performing your fresh install of OS X. This is because iPhoto '08 will upgrade your photo database as the file structure and handling system works differently to iPhoto '06. Once this upgrade of your iPhoto library has taken place, you will see only an iPhoto icon where your iPhoto library used to be stored. It will still be called "iPhoto Libary", but clicking on it will launch iPhoto '08, rather than displaying the file structure of the iPhoto library. Then, you can simply move this file to an external drive, before you perform the "Erase and Install". Afterwards, reinstall iPhoto '08, and then replace the iPhoto Library that the new iPhoto '08 install will have made with the one on the external hard drive. This will allow iPhoto '08 to read the photo database correctly and thus display your albums etc., correctly.

4. ahmed.hassan macrumors member

laryter:

How did you move your "iPhoto directory" from the external hard drive to your internal hard drive? Did you copy the "iPhoto Library" directory, or did you export your photos? To retain albums etc., you should have copied the entire "iPhoto Library" folder from your external HDD to your internal HDD, and then directed iPhoto '06 to the new location of that folder. However, if there has been some sort of loss of the data within that folder, I believe your only option is to complete the tedious task of reorganising your photos. However, with iPhoto '08, in some cases you may be saved by the "Events" feature, which will automatically separate groups of photos that it thinks are connected (I.e. photos taken on the same day will be grouped together in an "Event"). To go down this route, simply do a clean install of iPhoto '08, and then import your photos.

5. laryter macrumors newbie

Ahmed.

To be honest I tried a number of ways, but always kept the old directories after copying or exporting by adding an A at the end ie Iphoto libraryA.

The first time I copied the folder into the hard drive it didn't show any folders that I had before, just a lot of photos in the library part at the top.

So then I tried creating a new library and imported the photos from the "original photos" selection, where it showed all the folders and info folders under the original iphoto library that I renamed specifically for this import. This time it seemed to import two copies of every photo that I had and I spent hours trying to erase the copies.

Since I have purchased the Iphoto 08, should I just wait and then let it do it's thing when it loads on top of Leopard? You can tell I am somewhat confused about all of these issues.

Thanks for responding.

6. ahmed.hassan macrumors member

Right, have you still got the original iPhoto Library folder (Which you appear to have renamed)?

7. laryter macrumors newbie

8. ahmed.hassan macrumors member

Well then all you need to do is transfer that folder to somewhere memorable on your hard drive. Then, before clicking on the iPhoto icon, press and hold the Option key (alt), and then click on the icon. This will bring up a window saying: "Choose Photo Library". Click "Choose Library..." and then navigate to the iPhoto Library folder. Hopefully your original iPhoto library will now open up.

9. Draddy macrumors regular

hmmm....that doesn't seem to be working for me.

EDIT: it doesn't work if you've never launched iPhoto... if it's a fresh install, launch iPhoto, quit, and then hold down option and open.

BTW: Same thing works for itunes.