backup iphotos on old computer

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maenad, Jan 30, 2015.

1. maenad macrumors newbie

I have a computer from 2005 and want to give it to someone else. (It still works well!) I have tried and tried but I can't get the photos out of iphotos to an external hard drive. Please help!

The machine is running 10.6.8 and the iphotos version is 8.1.2

I have the same problem that many users seem to have, where I go to "pictures" and the only option with something in it is "iphotos". It opens the library directly. I eventually realized that if I right-clicked on a photo and used "show file" I got "originals." Inside "originals", I have about ten files organized by year.

I tried copying the whole file to "original" and got nothing. I tried copying the year files one by one and one of them containing 24 pictures copied to the external drive. The others all started 10-hour copying processes but the next morning nothing was in the flash drive.

Please help!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You need to export from within iPhoto and don't mess around in that library file you are looking at. Just select all photos then go to export in the File menu in iPhoto and select the options you want to export the photos.