backup ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by skasol, Apr 16, 2008.

1. skasol macrumors 6502

how do I go about backing up my ipod touch just in case, I am able to ssh with cyberduck when I transfer the files thru cyberduck it only shows that I backup only a few KB and I don't think that is all the stuff in there for example the music,videos,etc. any help for backing up my ipod touch I am on 1.1.4

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

your itunes library, ical, address book ARE your backups, itunes backs up your settings

3. skasol thread starter macrumors 6502

I meant like all the apps that I've installed already and things like that.

any advice, I wanna be able to just restore my ipod touch with all the current jailbreak applications in case I ever need to restore due to being frozen or anything like that.

4. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I've ben wanting something for months but there's nothing like it as far I'm aware. With Pwnage you can create custom firmwares with the apps already pre-installed but I haven't got up the courage to try this yet.
    But yeah, not a way to make a restorable firmware image from a current setup I'm afraid.

5. skasol thread starter macrumors 6502

6. slimjim247 macrumors member

slimjim247

If you just want all the apps you can ssh using cuteftp or something and then just create copies of each app and save them on your hard drive. Then when you restore your ipod just jailbreak it, ssh into it again and just drop them in the applications folder

7. skasol thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks,
    maybe I am doing something wrong, where exactly are the files that I need to back up? when I log in with cyberduck I just see 3 folders any help or guide into where to go to ssh and back up. thanks

8. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

you need to be in the apps folder, should be under root/var/mobile/applications

9. skasol thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, I will give that a try.

10. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

also, beware of what software you use, the demos may only do a part, and screw you over

11. skasol thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you all, I will try tonight and report later on.

12. mcc99 macrumors newbie

Using SSH, FTP to iPod to back up the entire unit

Just got my iTouch and of course quickly found out how limited it was in terms of stuff to do with it-- until I "discovered" jailbreaking. :) Since then it has been a daily joy to discover the things this wee beastie can do. Basically, owners of iPhones/iPods/etc. are walking around with Unix boxes in their hands, they just usually don't know it. After discovering that FreeBSD was what was under the interface, I knew I was in a whole new kinda Kansas. I installed Term of course and after logging in discovered that yes, it has plenty of Unix in it. But alas, the screen is very small and the keyboard hard to use.

Well today in trying to solve the problem you posted here (ie, after all these mods, if it bricks and I need to reinstall everything, sheesh, how am I gonna remember what I had?), I also "discovered" that there is an FTPd program available in community sources (I jailbroke with iLiberty+, which ups the comm'y sources packages for downloadability of lotsa new and nifty programs). So, I installed the FTPd package. I already had SSH on it from the iLiberty+ upload of packages. I then downloaded the PUTty programs from out there in cyberspace onto my PC here at work, where I am Wi-Fi'ed and have an identifiable IP address assigned when I enter the network range. (IP address is displayed in BossPrefs, also installed from comm'y sources after jailbreaking, next to the WiFi config toggle).

I fired up PSFTP.exe and ftp'd into my iPod touch using the reported IP address. And it worked. I cd'd to root dir and used "mget -r *" to copy back every dat-burned file on my iPod. In fact, it's still copying now as I write!

I also used putty.exe to open an SSH window to the unit, and yes, it worked-- took a little while for the conn to get est'd but after about a minute, it took. So there I was, a full screen in front of me, a real keyboard, and an open root session to my iPod!

Is this not the very definition of happiness for the budding gadget geek?

BTW, for folks new to Unix, before you mess with your iPod at this level, puhhleeze, get some practice first on a machine of some kind you can afford to mess up. Also for those new to FreeBSD, the default root pwd for the system is "alpine". You should change the "root" userid pwd right after logging in by using the 'passwd' command to something else, as you don't want some hacker to get into your unit while you are messing about in a place with public Wi-Fi, to which you may be connected w/out knowing it.

If this iPod ever bricks, I will try to restore it with the backed up files after reviving it and installing the FTPd program after jailbreaking the unit again. However I do not know if that will work. I am merely telling you this stuff because it *may* be a way to back up *all* your iPod stuff in case of bricking. I don't know for sure based on experience that a unit would be successfully restored using the backed-up files transferred over to another PC merely by mput-ting them back onto the unit over FTP. Time will tell, I guess, but I hope no time soon!

13. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

What a post :)
    I'm afraid to tell you that copying stuff like the apps back to the iPod after a restore doesn't work :(
    I remember I backed up the app folder, restored and then copied the apps back to the iPod and they didn't show up. I think that I should of backed up the N45AP.plist for it to know the apps were there but ya know, live and learn. And no, I didn't restore the iPod just to find out... I can't actually remember why I had to restore now :rolleyes:

14. mcc99 macrumors newbie

Oh well

Rats. But knowing this will make sure I keep up an inventory anyway of all the crap I have installed now on my pod. :p Thanks for the feedback!

15. skasol thread starter macrumors 6502

good post and very good information.

hopefully someone comes up with a way to back everything up.

16. mcc99 macrumors newbie

Update: No work

I bricked the beast and went to do as I described. While it's true I have a lot of my music and videos tarred up, it's also true I'll have to manually extract and re-add them. Just FYI. :)