Backup leopard to external drive, then use that as my internal drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ThePeacemaker02, Dec 1, 2008.

1. ThePeacemaker02 macrumors regular

I have a Macbook with an 80gb HDD, I want to put my leopard onto that external drive and then put that drive into my macbook. Is it possible to put a carbon copy of my original drive to my other one, only with more space. Thanks.

2. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

3. ThePeacemaker02 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I used a similar program which I found called carbon copy cloner and it worked. I just wasn't sure if I would be able to boot that copy. I figured there was no risk if it wouldn't boot so I went ahead and did it. I now have 90 gb free.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Just to be clear, free of charge for basic full drive clones, but payment/registration is required ($27.99) for full functioning, such as incremental backups and more. Certainly worth it, but CCC is a great program too and totally free although donations are appreciated. Two tools for basically the same process! ;)

5. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Well its free for what the thread starter wants to do, since his intention is to clone it only once.

6. ro-76 macrumors member

I am about to upgrade my HDD, so am looking for a program like this. I also have a bootcamp partition, but cannot seem to clone the entire HDD, including the bootcamp partition.

Is there another option to do this?

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

The Boot Camp partition can be easily cloned by itself with a free program called WinClone. You will need to clone the OSX partition with a program like the free Carbon Copy Cloner or the free part of SuperDuper.

8. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I always recommend having another external HDD and using Time Machine. In this case, the old HDD with an enclosure could become that drive ;)

After formatting the external drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), wouldn't this do the trick?:

sudo umount /Volumes/{external_hdd_name_here} && sudo dd if=/dev/disk0 of=/dev/{external_hdd_name_here}

Note: name of the external HDD would not be the same in the cases of /Volumes & /Dev

Edit: may be more complicated, found this solution.

9. ro-76 macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I used both of those programs, but I think I've made a bit of a mistake. I partitioned the new hard drive into a 32gb partition for windows, the rest for OSX. I then cloned the windows partition with winclone, and the OSX partition with CCC. I then installed the new hdd, which boots fine into OSX, but the windows partition just has a winclone image file on it. I then tried to restore that image, but winclone cannot write it to the 32GB partition because I created it in OSX. I then tried to use BootCamp assistant to make a 32GB windows partition, but It will not allow me to do that. I then tried to use an windows boot disk to format the 32GB partition, but it does not see it. I sees both partitions as one.

I think I need to merge both partitions into one, then use bootcamp to make a new partition, then use winclone to restore the image to that partition. Does this sound right?

Is it possible to do this without erasing the entire new hard disk and starting again? IU have seen iPartition, but don't want to buy it to use just once.