Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I want to backup my Macbook to my external harddrive up it's formatted in Windows. Is there a way I can back up my Mac to it? Or do I need another location?

When I try to back it up with SuperDuper it comes up with this.

"SEA_DISC is formatted as MS-DOS FAT32, which cannot properly host HFS+ files along with all their attributes, resources and ownership.

To use SEA_DISC with SuperDuper!, use Disk Utility to erase it, selecting "Mac OS Extended" or "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format."

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
Well you will need to erase your hard drive via disk utility, you have to click on the drop down menu and pick MS_DOS File-System then you can use that hard drive for both your mac and windows.

I would recommend you format your hard drive to Mac OS Extended (journaled), formating it wont take long.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Is there any other way? Because I use 2 Window computers with the HD as well and only 1 Mac and I don't know if I should format it.

koswo

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2004
Belgium
Another possibility is to split it up in two (or more) partitions, one formatted as Mac OS and one as MS-DOS.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
But if I format it to Mac, would I still be able to use it with my Windows machine?

My external MS_DOS File-System hard drive works with both windows and mac. SuperDuper erases the external hard drive before backup to it, maybe thats how your getting your problem.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah at the moment, my External HD works with both Windows and Mac but I want to backup my system onto it and SuperDuper won't work unless it's formatted with Mac.

koswo

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2004
Belgium
Do you really need to backup your complete system or just your personal files. Because if you partition your disk as I proposed in my previous post, you can simply copy your home directory to the Mac OS partition and you're done!

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Umm...i'm not totally sure really. Which do you reckon would be best? And would I really have to partion it? Couldn't I just copy it as it is at the moment since my Mac can read the HD already?

koswo

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2004
Belgium
I only backup my home directory, since all my files are in there. Then when I reinstall my system, using the recovery dvd that came with my iMac, I just copy back the contents of the backupped home directory to the fresh one on the iMac's hard drive.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
As long as you don't have any files larger than 4GB. FAT doesn't like that. And Macs can only read NTFS, so that's out too. I use MacDrive, but I did have an issue on my Mom's PC when trying to use it. Screwed up my Mac formatted drive.

Partitioning is your best best, unless you want to deal with networking, but that has it's own issues too. As well as being kinda slow. Could just get a second external drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.