Backup MBP with Leopard without monitor - How?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nikon121, Oct 15, 2009.

1. nikon121 macrumors newbie

Hi. I hate to say this, but I've been lazy in backing up for the past month, and it seems now my MacBook Pro's monitor refuses to turn on. It's a 2007 model, so I'd assume it's a problem with the iffy video card installed in this model.

This means that I need to now backup my computer without the use of my monitor or an outside monitor, as the video card problem prohibits you from using another monitor.

Anyone have any ideas for this? I'm going to attempt to backup on a large external hd. I'm really up the river without a paddle here..

Thanks!

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Is there another Mac you have access to?

If yes, you can do what's called FireWire Target Disk mode. The way this works is by connecting a FireWire cable between the two Macs, and turning on your computer while holding down the letter "T" on the keyboard. When you do this, it essentially turns your Mac into an external hard drive, which will show up on the Mac you have it connected to.

Based on the two Macs you're connecting together, you'll have to know what type of FireWire cable to get. Newer Macs (made within the last two years) will have a FireWire 800 port, so you'd need this cable. Older Macs won't have that type of port, so you'd need a FireWire 400 cable.

You'll be able to find these cables at retail stores (Best Buy, etc.) but it'll be a lot cheaper buying it online. After you get it, just connect the two Macs using the cable, and hold down "T" on your Mac's keyboard. Your Mac's hard drive will show up on the other computer, allowing you access to all your files.

3. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

and if all else fails you could always remove the hard drive and put it in a similar machine, possibly the replacement to this one?

also, you didnt have screen sharing enabled did you? If you did you could log on remotely but thats a setting you would have manually turned on.

4. stonewall123 macrumors newbie

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Have you tried connecting an external monitor or are you just running on the assumption that it's a GPU issue? It could just be an issue related to the LCD panel and completely unrelated to the GPU...