Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melanie823

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
Hempfield PA
I recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile and got an iPhone 7. My old Iphone was wiped clean and given to my daughter. Before I made the switch, I made a manual backup to my computer and thought I'd be safe. But when I tried to restore my new phone from the backup, it does not show up in iTunes. Instead it gives me a backup from May of 2014. A search of my computer shows that files were created and placed here: C:\Users\Melanie\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\iPhone-a8361e0d\Retired

I tried to get help from Apple Support. They said that there was nothing they could do.

Somebody please help me. All I want is one voicemail. My son passed away this past Christmas and it is the only recording of his voice I had. Thanks for any help. Melanie

GalFieri

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2016
California
I'm so sorry to hear this.

Backups aren't generally stored there. iTunes should store backups at C:\Users\Melanie\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

If it's not there, you may be out of luck. For the folder and files you do have, how big is that folder? It's somehow possible that the backup ended up there but if the folder isn't very big, it's unlikely to be a backup.

If you do find it in either of those places, there are 3rd party programs you can use to extract files and attachments from backups.

Melanie823

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
Hempfield PA
I'm so sorry to hear this.

Backups aren't generally stored there. iTunes should store backups at C:\Users\Melanie\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

If it's not there, you may be out of luck. For the folder and files you do have, how big is that folder? It's somehow possible that the backup ended up there but if the folder isn't very big, it's unlikely to be a backup.

If you do find it in either of those places, there are 3rd party programs you can use to extract files and attachments from backups.
[doublepost=1476838894][/doublepost]I know where the backup is supposed to be. If it was there, I wouldn't be here trying to find an answer. There are multiple files in the location I noted above. I think the file being named Retired is a clue, but I don't know how to solve the mystery. My heart is breaking over this. When I made the backup file, there was no indication that anything was wrong or that files were not being saved to the location where they should have gone. This is just plain devastating. I just know one of those files contains my son's message and I have to have it back. He was only 23. My heart is already broken. I just want to be able to hear his voice again.

MiniGeek

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2016
There is a third party software program called iBackup Extractor by Wide Angle Software. From their product page, it says you can extract 20 items free. I ended up purchasing the software because I had more items than 20 that I was trying to get, and it was worth the money for me.

My heart goes out to you, I am so sorry for your loss. Hopefully this software can find your backup on your computer. I know how important this is to you.

https://www.wideanglesoftware.com/ibackupextractor/

Oper8tor

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2015
Hate this has happened. Have checked your voicemails to see if the message is still there? Voicemails are stored on a server, so if hasn't been erased, it may still be there.

Bamff

macrumors regular
May 6, 2013
I recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile and got an iPhone 7. My old Iphone was wiped clean and given to my daughter. Before I made the switch, I made a manual backup to my computer and thought I'd be safe. But when I tried to restore my new phone from the backup, it does not show up in iTunes. Instead it gives me a backup from May of 2014. A search of my computer shows that files were created and placed here: C:\Users\Melanie\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\iPhone-a8361e0d\Retired

I tried to get help from Apple Support. They said that there was nothing they could do.

Somebody please help me. All I want is one voicemail. My son passed away this past Christmas and it is the only recording of his voice I had. Thanks for any help. Melanie
[doublepost=1477317133][/doublepost]As far as I know, if you have a saved voicemail message as in your case which was on Verizon, it's stored on their server. When you made the switch to T-Mobile, only your number was ported over, not the associated message from the previous carrier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.