Backup music from Apple Music

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Pheno Zarky, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Pheno Zarky macrumors newbie

Pheno Zarky

Sep 2, 2015
    Is there a way to backup all my music that I have in apple music or at least have a TXT file so I know the songs I have in case something bad happen and I lose all my songs ? I'm paranoid because now all the music that I have is at the same place in Apple Music.
  2. Tech198 macrumors G4

Mar 21, 2011
    Australia, Perth
    u can Make available offline, but that don't back it up..... it'll just make be offline so u can play without an internet connection, but u still need one to verify your apple music subscription..

I do have my a my own trick which works 100% though... the idea is it shares your xml library with other apps, and get it at that way... The only thing is yes, u do need to make offline first, but once that is done, the rest is easy. "legacy xml sharing" I wouldn't say its illegal in any way.
  3. snic2030 macrumors newbie

Sep 25, 2015
    I've got my own little solution - but it may take a little time at first.

Your first step is to make all the music added to My Music from Apple Music available offline.

Once you've done this - I just make a hard copy of the song files hidden in Finder. I'm a paying subscriber but I cringe at the thought of re-downloading all the music I've already made available offline.

Once all music is made available offline follow the bellow path:
    [USER] HD > Users > [USER] > Library* > Caches > > SubscriptionPlayCache > [FOLDER WITH LETTERS + NUMBERS "000000000003X4XX34X"

*This is hidden as a default. If you can't see it, right-click > Show View Options and select show library

Once there, you'll see the temporarily downloaded music files. Once I accessed this folder it made a file appear in a different location with all the downloaded music files. Below is the file path of the different location with the music files:

[USER] > Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Apple Music - VOILA!

I don't know why, but that folder was not visible until I visited the folder with the caches...

I basically then made a copy of the files onto my backup drive. If **** hits the fans, I'll just copy them back in the appropriate folders so iTunes doesn't have to re-download the files.

I imagine you'd need a current Apple Music subscription for them to work though.

Let me know if any of the above doesn't make sense, haha.

*OS X 10.10.5
  4. jordanneo macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2012
    If you just want a list of all the songs from Apple Music, make a Smart Playlist with all the Apple Music tunes, then select all and paste into Excel or Notepad. That will give you a list. In Excel it would be sortable...

5. Pheno Zarky thread starter macrumors newbie

Pheno Zarky

Sep 2, 2015
    thanks !