Backup/Nas? Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Trey M, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I currently have a MyBookLive and I really don't enjoy it that much. Time Machine backups are slow (from what I've read online the Time Capsule is much faster backing up) and it just has a bunch of annoying issues, such as updating firmware, etc.

What I'm wondering is people's experience with their Time Capsule and how do they like it. Also, can Time Capsules be used as NAS storage units? For example, could I load music on my Time Capsule and play it on my Xbox or something similar?

Thanks!

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Time Capsule (like the AirDrive functionality in an AirPort Extreme) is not particularly fast either. Most I've ever seen out of my AirDrive (a WD Green 1.5TB) is 6MB/s or so, and I haven't heard much higher for Apple's Time Capsule. I personally don't care about the speed in particular, as it seems to work for me.

If you want speed, you'll want a speed-focused NAS hooked up to a regular router (APE or otherwise) via GigE.

3. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

4. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

5. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I've been using a MyBook Live NAS for over three months now for TM backups and networked storage. Backups are done mostly via wireless on my MBP without any issues. What I found that helped the slowish backup speeds is having TM set for auto backups (does hourly locally) and then mounting the TM share on the MyBook Live a few times per week for a full backup.

This has worked very well and having both Twonky and iTunes servers on the MBL (albeit videos won't stream) is really great.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I use a Time Capsule and it works just fine. If you are backing up over wireless, speeds will suffer, but this will happen over wireless with any solution. Wired is much faster. What I normally do is run the initial backup on wired, then subsequent backups over wireless. It does these in he background and I never even notice.

I'm not sure what your question is about firmware on the Time Capsule? When new firmware comes out you just click okay to install and it gets installed.

You can store files like your iTunes library (music) on the Time Capsule drive, but no player like your XBox can play the music directly from there. You would need to have some sort of DLNA software like PlayBack for example running on your computer and the XBox accesses the music from the Time Capsule drive through the DLNA software on the computer.

7. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Good info to know. As far as the initial backup, you use an ethernet cord to connect your MBP to the Time Capsule to speed up the initial backup?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep. Much faster than wireless.