Backup of 2+ TB?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Muttley1900, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Muttley1900 macrumors newbie

Hi, now that I have an iMac on order I am looking into my backup options.

My iMac will have a 2Tb hard drive

I have apple tv and have been seriously thinking about converting most (all?) my DVD films/shows to be in my iTunes library. This I am guessing will be between 600gb and 1.5Tb (depending if I go for just films or the tv series I also have).

If I were to have over 2Tb held either on the iMac and / or an external hard drive I'm guessing that my backupnoptions will be:

1) don't back it all up, as I will still have the original DVDs;

2) use time machine and/or another software tool to backup to another external hard drive - but if over 2Tb required to be backed up then it would have to be something that compresses the data (don't think tm does this);

3) Use some 'cloud' backup service - but this will take forever and probably upset my ISP with the amount of data uploaded.

What other suggestions do you have or currently use when you have a huge data/media backup requirement?

Thanks,

J.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would keep the video files in external HD as filling the internal will slow things down. The best option is to get either two 3TB drives or dual-bay enclosure with two 3TB drives in RAID 1. I'm sure you want to have those files backed up in case of HD failure. Otherwise you have to do it again

3. Muttley1900 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks Hellhammer, that has helped focus my thinking.

You are right, I wouldn't want to have to rip all the dvds and recode them again, so option 1 is a non starter.

So, now to source 2 x 3tb hard drives and a duel bay enclosure that allows 3Tb/6Tb capacity.

Never boring is it....

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/GM8QKIT0GB/
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136764

It's quite expensive but at least your movies will be safe now and 3TB should offer enough space for near future. 2TBs are so if you're fine with having only 2TB, then save some bucks and get them.