Backup of Portable external hard drives

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LERsince1991, Mar 24, 2015.

1. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

Hi,

This ones for my brother, he wants a portable hard drive to store his media recordings on but then I said he would have to back it up.

I suggested buying two of the same drive and using Microsoft synctoy (he's on windows) to keep a second copy up to date in case of a drive failure or he deletes something by accident, this can be scheduled for weekly backups and he would have to plug both externals into his laptop at once to sync them.

Is this the best way to do it?

2. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

Sounds good. If he has absolutely critical data he's backing up perhaps he should get 3 externals. Use one as the main drive and switch between drive 2 and 3 every other week for the backups. That way he wouldn't have his main drive and his only copy connected at the same time, just in case.. Store one of the backup drives in a separate location as well.

I'm not familiar with Microsoft Synctoy. I've always just used robocopy from the command prompt. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145.aspx
    I make a .bat file and use task scheduler to run it if I need to run the copy on a schedule.

I just quickly Google'd SyncToy. Looks like that might be easier since it has a GUI.