Backup on x86 for x64?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by thehusky, Jul 8, 2009.

1. thehusky macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've been running an old copy of Windows XP on my MacBook Pro, foolishly, because it is 32-bit, and does not recognize all of my RAM. I'm wondering if I back up my entire set-up, will my programs have to be re-installed on a new 64-bit system?

I assume there will be registry problems with programs, I'm not so much worried about compatibility with 64-bit just yet, I'm just concerned with the loss of everything. (Of course I could backup specific files--just the installed programs which will be a nuisance).

Any experience/knowledge with this issue?

Thanks.

2. cainnovacaine macrumors regular

cainnovacaine

Your backup won't restore to a 64 bit system, only specific files and folders can be moved and not an entire disc image. Windows maintains two Program Files folders for x86 and x64. Besides that, as I understand a 32 bit system can't be upgraded to from a 64 bit system or the reverse. 32 can only upgrade to 32 and 64 to 64. Sorry dude, I don't have any suggestions but a limited file and folder backup and a clean install.

You'll thank me, likely. Many programs maintain a 32 bit and a 64 bit version.