Backup or Get Mobile?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jshwon, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Jshwon macrumors 6502

Jshwon

I am having a slight dilemma on my next Mac purchase. What I'm trying to decide is if I should buy a MBP/MBA or a Time Capsule 1TB. I currently have a iMac for home use but really want a second Mac to bring around with me and for travel. The only problem is that right now I'm not backing up!!! :eek: So a back up solution is needed and will be bought but I'm about 3/4 of the way to having the money for a MBP/MBA which means I could go ahead and by a TC right now if I wanted to.

Just wanted to get some opinions from you MBP users on why you love your macbooks. And should for-go the TC FOR NOW and just buy what I really want. :p

2. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

3. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

get a MBP/MBA no question. You can always back up to them anyways :p.

Plus, you can just do what I did. I bought a cheap-o firewire external 500GB external hard drive for $72. Use it with time machine perfectly (H).

4. Jshwon thread starter macrumors 6502

Jshwon

This is what I was thinking but at the same time I wanted the seamless integration of TC with my Mac's and the ability to back up wirelessly. Ahh decisions, decisions. I'll probably lean towards the MBP/A since it would be easier to come up with the money for a TC later. I just get so jealous when I see people in the airport with their MBP!

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You could just get a MB and then you could get the TC too. :p If you're considering the Air, then you don't need the power of the MBP, so you could save some money by getting a regular MB.

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

The time capsule is expensive and cumbersome. The same thing can be accomplished with a wireless n router that has a usb port and a $50 external hard drive for 1/3rd the cost.

Honestly, backup is great (I'm one to talk, I keep a nightly incremental backup with monthly redundancy) but if money is an issue, its totally not worth it. Just pick up a $20 4GB flash drive and put your important documents/files onto it for safe keeping. Anything else can be replaced, with the exception of big time photo/video editing; but if you're doing that then you should have a backup system in place anyways.

7. Jshwon thread starter macrumors 6502

Jshwon

Right, and thats why I am considering a more robust back up solution. I'm going to be getting a video camera soon and will need these files backed up. Also I wanted added protection in case of hard drive failure where a bootable backup would come in handy.

8. Jshwon thread starter macrumors 6502

Jshwon

This is true but I'm not a big fan of the plastics used with the MB's. And you're right about not needing the power so maybe an MBA will do. I think MacMall had them for $1500 or so.