Backup OSX+XP=entire disc

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by roblin, Jun 29, 2007.

1. roblin macrumors regular

I would like to make a backup of my computer with both OSX and XP so i can restore it in the future if something unfortunate would happen. Any suggestions?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The way i do it currently is have an external drive partitioned roughly the same as my internal drive. I then use Superduper to clone the OSX partition and use Winclone to backup the windows partition.

As far as i am aware there isn't currently a piece of software that will do both for you, but I am always on the look out for such a piece of software.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you could try some cloning tools form nortons... (do they have one for intelmacs??) you could boot from the disk and do a full copy to an external or something

4. jpa.herron macrumors newbie

I'm looking for something similar...

I've purchased a Lacie 160GB mobile drive & use SuperDuper to create a weekly backup. Thw Windows partition is used exclusively for applications. All my project & personal data is stored on the OSX side & accessed from XP using Macdrive.

What do I need to use to partition my external drive to reflect the partition arrangement on my MBP? I can keep using SD to create my OSX backup, but would also like to reserve a partition on it for keeping an image of my windows installation (in case of emergencies).

I'm fairly new to OSX, so apologies if it includes a partition manager.

Cheers,

James.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

If you want to do it all at once, why not mount the Windows NTFS partition read-only onto the Mac. Then the files are accessable to whatever backup software you use on the Mac

Another (free) option would be to get a live boot disk of (say) Ubunto or Fedora boot that. It will run entirely off the "live CD" and then you can use a "dd" program to clone the drive sector by sector. DD does not care much about partitions, and file systems it just copies the binary data.

dd also come with Mac OS X so if you could find a third drive to boot off of you could use Mac OS rather then Linux. But little to be gained that way and you'd need a third disk. "dd" should do it. From the terminal type "man dd" to read how it works. It's identical on either Mac OS or Linux