Backup particular folders to external HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jinkst, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Jinkst macrumors regular

Not sure if this can be done but thought would see if anyone has a method.

Basically want I want to do is backup a few particular folders on my iMac to an external HDD periodically, and automatically. eg, iTunes Music folder copies anything new in the folder on a weekly basis.

I know Time Machine does this in a way and I did have it set up, but I'd prefer it to back my files up as a normal external HDD so I can transfer the files to other computers running both OS X and Windows.

If anyone can help me out here it'd be great as at the moment I just have to do the transfer manually and it's getting tedious.

Thanks.

2. Jinkst thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick response. I've downloaded it and am trying to set up the backup. Forgive my ignorance, but when I deselect those that I don't want and just leave the few folders I do it's giving me the message that "the target volume may be unbootable..."

Should I be worrying about this or should I just go ahead and start it up?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Having the drive be bootable is only important if you're using it for a system backup with the idea of starting the operating system from the drive. Since it doesn't seem like that's important to you, you can ignore it.

4. Jinkst thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks. All set up and cloning. Appreciate the help.