Backup phone

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Splitbolt, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Splitbolt macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 5 that is malfunctioning, and it's getting worse. I am hoping the phone makes it until the new iPhone 6S is released, but I am doubtful.

This is my only phone and I also use it for business, so I was wondering if I could get a cheap phone to use as a backup in situations like this? My service is thru AT&T and there is a SIM card in it.

Is it as easy as buying a cheap phone and popping the SIM card in?

If so, where could I get a cheap phone? A flip phone would be fine, if it will work with my SIM card.

2. Roller macrumors 68020

The iPhone 5 uses a nano-SIM, so the backup phone would need to use one too if you just want to swap SIMs. It would also have to be unlocked, unless it's carrier locked to AT&T. Check with AT&T to make sure.

As for timing, I'd say that a reliable phone is a necessity these days, especially if you use yours for business. It's impossible to say whether your current phone will last until the 6S is available, but it's worth remembering that initial supplies have been very constrained the past few years.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

You could get a cheap phone from your local supermarket for £20 or so (if you don't have an old one at home somewhere). You will need a sim adaptor for your nano sim. Rather than buy a phone for a few weeks, ask your friends and relatives. I bet you could borrow a phone for nothing.

4. Electrics macrumors member

I am in the same type of situation, but no friends or family have a working old phone. I wouldn't mind going to get a cheap supermarket phone, but where would I get a SIM adapter?

I use AT&T, would they be able to help?

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

My carrier O2 sells them. Give AT&T a try.

6. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

http://www.amazon.com/MediaDevil-Si...XWDI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442874298&sr=8-2

Plenty of others on Amazon and eBay. It's not really a common thing to find in stores here, unfortunately.