Backup photo albums and other data - am I missing something?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by spacegoose, Jun 11, 2011.

1. spacegoose macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

Today I came up with a disturbing problem. If I would possess only an iPad and nothing else, I would be able to import my photos to this iPad without a problem using the camera connection kit. So I would fill up my iPad day by day with photos until... hmm... wait a second. What happens if my iPad has no more memory left? Should I just buy another one :confused:? If iOS 5 is designed so that NO PC is necessary to use it, how the hell is it possible to back up some of my data to a mass storage device such as a harddrive? I have googled this question but it seems no one cares what happens in the long term with a device such as the iPad or iPhone. Does anyone have a good answer to this dilemma? Thanks!

2. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I think you are rushing to conclusions.
    There are rumors floating around that you will be able to synch to the time cabsule or airport extreme in the near future with iOS 5 and that would pretty much fix that problem.
    This is shown in iOS 5 for the iPhone but not yet in the iPad.
    You also have a choice to buy more space on iCloud and could use that.

This is all to early with iOS 5 and there are a ton of features not active or even put into it yet, give it some time and it will all come together and make sense.

3. urkel macrumors 68030

What good is a hard drive to someone who is trying to be 100% "PC Free"?

"No PC Necessary" is more an idea than reality. Sure, we can get it to work without a computer but that doesnt mean the computer is dead or no longer serves any purpose. The computer adds convenience and speed for things like you mention (backups) as well as updates/sync. Ive been trying to backup my Touch to iCloud for several days now and the 700MB upload keeps timing out because its estimated to take 6hrs. I couldnt imagine doing a restore and pulling that data down would be more convenient than simply syncing to a local computer.

4. laurenr macrumors 6502a

I must say I agree with you. I cannot imagine doing a full restore wirelessly. It takes long enough connected via USB already, especially with the 64 Gig model! I am hoping that hard-wired backup will be an option for people that choose to go that route.

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Apple could create a cool docking/storage station for the iPad with a HDD inside.

You docked your iPad down onto this new white box, and automatically a full backup of your iPad was made. :)

6. spacegoose thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay... maybe they come up with some sort of way to backup data to a time capsule. However, I don't only want to backup my stuff because that doesn't solve the issue of the iOS device getting out of memory. We need a way to move (and not copy) some data to a storage device that is not in the cloud. Let's say a usb stick or a simple harddrive.

7. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Apple's solution for this will likely require iCloud. Maybe you could have photo albums that are on iCloud, but not on the iPad that they were uploaded from. If you were spending too much time re-downloading albums and deleting them then Apple could sell you a new iPad with more storage. People who would want to have all of those photos on a hard drive would still need a Mac or PC.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I'm hoping two things. Both of which I can't see there being any Apple related problem with:

1: The iPad increasing in memory size as time goes on. Whilst Apple may feel iCloud makes this less of an issue for some, Apps ect will continue to get larger over time and memory chip prices shroud get lower, so a 128GB iPad should emerge if not for iPad3, then for iPad4 for sure.
    Perhaps it will appear at the same time the new screen does as instantly people will start using larger image data for the new screen.

2: Some form of backup to an Apple NAS type drive, so if things break you can restore them, and also stream data from them to save your built in limited storage.

The latter I guess is already possible in some way?