Backup Purchases, is there any point (b/c Time Machine)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by tefleming, Feb 10, 2008.

1. tefleming macrumors 6502

I finally got a nice big external to run Time Machine. My question, is there a reason to (as iTunes prompted me) "Backup my purchases?"

Doesn't Time Machine cover my bases on that?

2. cuestakid macrumors 68000

yes because itunes will only let you re-download everything once and thats assuming that you whine and complain enough to allow you to in the first place

besides time machine backs up everything so theres no reason why you should exclude it-if anything it should be one of the things that you are sure to include

3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

It is absolutely worth it, trying to get downloads restored is a huge hassle. Just back it up. If an emergency ever comes about where you lose your primary drive you'll be thankful you did, simply connect and restore.

4. tefleming thread starter macrumors 6502

But, doesn't Time Machine keep back ups of them?

5. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Yes Time Machine will back up your iTunes music (unless you excluded that folder for some reason). But...

A lightning strike or other power surge could blow out both your computer and Time Machine hard drives. Or a fire could destroy them both. Or a robber could steal your computer and backup drive.

That's why off-site backups are important (even with Time Machine or a RAID system).

Greg