Backup question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bakasam, Sep 4, 2010.

1. bakasam macrumors member

Sorry noob question here.

I know this may be way too early to ask but this is my first iPhone device and I have not gone through the many OS update transitions as many of you have and I'm wondering about some procedures in order to prepare myself.

So currently im on an iPhone4 with 4.0.1. With the announcement of the new OS 4.1 and 4.2 i'll assume there will eventually be a jailbreak for those versions. (I'm not expecting it to be immediate but it will happen at some point in time)

I was wondering what procedures I need to take to backup my current jailbroken apps and themes

Some people have mentioned about a cydia app called APTbackup but i've seen reports of it not always working properly or whatever the issue may be. So in order to play it safe I plan on using aptbackup ontop of another method if there is one.

So is there another method of backing up your current stuff? :confused:

2. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Personally I never recommended any backup of jailbroken apps. A lot of these apps use private API's and to many things break with firmware updates. Any major IE 3.0 or 4.0 firmware will break most jailbroken apps or cause problems of some kind. New feature release firmwares IE 3.1 or 4.1 can also cause havoc with these apps as well. The ability to 'restore' a bunch of these apps at one time just leads to a headache to find out which ones will inviability cause problems.

3. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

TMar,

I disagree. Have you ever had to do a reinstall on the same iOS version before? Manually installing scores of packages is a royal pain in the a$$.

S-

4. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Did he ask about reinstalling the same firmware? Did I mention it? I think my point was pretty clear on what it pertained too. But I'll highlight again what this thread is about.

5. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

TMar,

I know what he asked about. But you said:

"I never recommended any backup of jailbroken apps."

Regardless of your actual intent, that is an all encompassing statement. Put the words "never" and "any" together like you did does that. Based on your response to me, it appears you meant to say:

"I never recommended backup of jailbroken apps in this situation."

So get off your high horse. Don't be condescending to me just because you were not clear.

S-

6. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

That's called taking something out of context and if the meaning of the entire paragraphs context eludes you, you might want to get a clue and some reading comprehension. You come in in the middle of the conversation and nick pick one sentence because you want to talk about one situation while the OP and I are discussing another completely different one. Don't derail thread with your nonsense.

7. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

No, your sentence is what changed the context. Look up the word "any" if you don't understand that. The way you used it, it means "without specification".

You said that you never recommend "any" backup of jailbroken apps.

I just pointed out a case where I thought backup was warranted.

Get a clue: write more clearly.

S-

8. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

9. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Also, if you use PkgBackup, you can select which packages to restore. So, if you did quick bit of research, you could find what packages are not compatible with the new firmware version and not restore them. Still a lot better than restoring 50 or more packages manually.

All he had to say was "That's not what I meant...." instead of implying I was an idiot....

S-

10. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Yes 'any' as in any program that allows the the backup of jailbroken apps because there are a couple of them. It isn't my fault you could not read the first two sentence and understand any of it.

"Personally I never recommended any backup of jailbroken apps. A lot of these apps use private API's and to many things break with firmware updates."

Yes, you pointed out a case. A case of oranges while we are talking about making apple pie. Face it you only read the first sentence and found a way you though you could disagree with me on. Look for attention somewhere else child, it's not going to work here.

11. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Well I call them as I see it. It was very clear in the context of the entire post what I said. I have no need to defend it.

12. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Either you are really reaching now trying to save face or you are confused.

"Personally I never recommended any backup of jailbroken apps. A lot of these apps use private API's and to many things break with firmware updates."

The word "any" in your sentence does not refer to "backup apps" such as "APTbackup" or "PkgBackup" . It refers to "backup of apps".

If you meant the former, it is quite easy to see how I read it differently.

S-

13. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Not reaching or saving face and your confused (self admittedly) not I. It's what I said, I have no reason to defend it because it's clear to all but you, so you can see where you might be the problem and not my post.

But continue to save face on me calling you out to only reading the first sentence of a post and jumping to conclusions about the entire thing. Then to turn around and continue to nick pick it to try to prove your point which was irrelevant in the first place.

14. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

TMar,

What you actually said is not what you think you said.....but you are not going to see it any other way.

I still recommend Pkgbackup to the OP and I recommend he ignore your advice here.

S-

15. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

That's fine you can be wrong. If he installs a lot of packages to a brand new firmware upgrade he will run into incompatibilities and that's a fact and a the point I made in my entire first post.

16. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

You missed or ignored this paragraph in a previous post by me:

"Also, if you use PkgBackup, you can select which packages to restore. So, if you did a quick bit of research, you could find what packages are not compatible with the new firmware version and not restore them. Still a lot better than restoring 50 or more packages manually."

S-

17. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

And you believe the OP is going to know what packages will work or not? Think he will know how to trouble shoot it if he accidentally/unknowingly installs multipliable packages that cause problems? These backup programs are good for people that know their way around a JB device not someone on there first iphone let along first JB.

18. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Do you know what the word "research" means? The OP will need to check the status of every package and only recover those that work. But I said all of this already.

S-

19. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Then it's not really a time saver then is it? He can check the status of each package right from cydia before he ques it for install

20. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

unless it pkgbackup and appbackup has got ALOT better, i would set up my newly installed OS brand new....meaning, i always had some problems using these types of backups.

I would take the time, setup the phone as new and play it safe. Thats just me.

21. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Yeah, right. Of the 55 packages I have installed, I would be surprised if Cydia has information on 10 of them saying they are explicitly iOS 4.0.1 compatible.

It's far easier to find lists like this:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tz1lkTAAwtDi_7HJxef0Vgg#gid=1

From here:

http://www.redmondpie.com/official-iphone-4-and-ios-4.x-cydia-jailbreak-apps-compatibility-list/#

And work from there.

S-

PkgBackup does not work like a iOS restore from backup. It keeps a list of what you installed and will go get the latest versions and install them again. It does not install old data.

S-

22. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

PkgBack is a very useful option in both restores and upgrades, even if you use it to install one app at a time, quicker than doing each app with Cydia