Backup question.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mike Boreham, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

If I plug in my iPhone, add a lot of photos, movies, music, create playlists, rearrange the apps, etc etc....then hit the sync button, the first thing it does is back up, then applies all my changes, then stops.

So all that work I did is not backed up at this point?

If I want to back up all the latest changes, I need to right click/backup.

Have I got this correct?

I am only uncertain because I have never seen this point made, or a recommendation to back up again after doing a sync (at least if you have made a significant number of changes).

Thanks

2. GuardDogTech macrumors newbie

I'm pretty positive that it itunes backs up your data when it syncs. You can also set your phone to back up with icloud.

3. Mike Boreham, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012

Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for reply.

This would mean that iTunes backs up twice during a sync, once at the beginning and again after the changes have been applied. There is no indication that it is doing this in the itemised steps at the top of the screen.

Yes, I guess iCloud syncing would keep the backup up to date, so include the changes, but I don't know this for sure. Otherwise the backup-obsessed like me can just right click-> backup to make sure the backup includes the latest changes.

It's possible that the sync process writes the latest changes direct to the back up file as well as to the device. Just thought how I could test this. If I add a few gig of photos, then sync (without a manual backup afterwards), then the backup file size will increase by a few gigs if it does write the latest changes direct to the backup file. I can do this until tomorrow but will report back.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you have iCloud backup turned on, and iTunes sync does not backup to iTunes. If you want to create an iTunes backup with iCloud backup on you need to manually do it by the right click method you mentioned.

5. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

I just added 12 Gb of movies to my iPhone from iTunes connected by USB, but at the end of the sync, the backup file in App Support/Mobilesync is the same size as before I added the movies, confirming that iTunes does not back up the changes applied in the current sync

6. dextr3k macrumors 6502

The backup file does not contain your media I believe.

The backup file only contains your settings, and sms and that kind of stuff. Your movies, pictures, audio, books, etc are all stored in your itunes library. So if you delete your music on your computer, then restore your iphone, your iphone wouldn't get back the music.

What I think is happening is not that it backups twice, but it knows the settings you changed and saves these settings when it is backing up your iphone. But I am not an expert either. I just know it saves with one sync, and you dont need to sync again.

7. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, you're absolutely right! When I did a manual backup after adding the 12Gb of movies, the backup file size didn't change, although the mod time did. My backup file is 11.5 Gb which must be mostly apps, as well as settings.

My question partly remains, which (rephrased now) is that if I have spent a long time changing settings (playlists, app arrangement, photo selections), are the settings backed up on the same sync as they applied, or the next sync?

I had always thought iTunes backed up as the first step in case the subsequent changes went bad, but not at all sure now. You may be right they get saved to the backup on the same sync

I guess the proper test is to make a lot of changes, sync, then restore and see if the very last changes are in the restore....but not sure I am that curious!

8. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

I just connected my iPhone and installed an app update and moved it to a different screen. It did not backup as step 1 (to my surprise) and the mod time of the backup file did not change...so the settings changes I just made were not backed up by the sync. When I then did a manual backup by right click, the mod time of the backup file did change.

9. dextr3k macrumors 6502

Hmmm interesting. I never noticed that. I always figured apply changes applies your settings, backs up, then syncs whatever else you need to add/delete on your iphone.

I guess to be safe you should always sync twice?

10. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

I think the only definite way is to right click -> backup. Just syncing doesn't seem certain to update the backup file. I will keep a closer eye and see if I can understand more.

11. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

I just added some photos (via Aperture) and this time it did a back up as first step. This was the only change compared to an hour ago when I added an app and it did not backup. Maybe there is a time element in whether it does a backup at the start.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The manual backup does seem to contain photos from the camera roll at least. I don't know about things synced from iTunes like iPhoto images or videos. I bought my wife an iPad 3 and used the manual iPad 2 backup to restore everything and it brought in photos she has in her camera roll that are not even on the computer, so I am sure they were in the manual backup.

13. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, interesting! I guess there are probably a few other file types which are in the backup file.