Backup Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maxvamp, May 2, 2007.

1. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

I was wondering what Backup apps people have used with OS X, and their satisfaction levels with them, AND how people are backing up databases such as MySQL, SQLite, Oracle, etc.

Max.

P.S. This might be a good topic for a Mac Admin group. Moderators, is there any such group here?

Max.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a full bootable backup of my entire hard drive. Not a single bit gets left unturned (including Oracle).

3. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

For my backup, I use .mac's program called Backup 3.1. Its only for .mac members ($99/yr). It works really well. It has scheduled backups and many other features. You can back it up to an iDisk, external HD, 2nd HD or any other place you would want to back it up to. You can also select the files you want to backup as well.

There is also some other programs as well. Carbon Copy Cloner will copy everything and I'm not sure if you want to copy everything every time you backup.

If you're looking for a heavy duty backup program there are things like Retrospect by Dantz. If you do a google search for OS X backup programs you will get a list of them.

4. maxvamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

This does not seem like a good daily solution.

Max.

5. maxvamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

I was wondering if there was something good for Small to Medium businesses.

I have used retrospect, and to be honest, I was not impressed with it before EMC bought it, and less so afterwards.

Thanks all for the ideas however.....

Max.

6. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

depending on what you want, you might be able to use rsync to back up stuff.. I use it to back up both my local computers and servers.

rsync comes with macs, but usually is used thru the console. So, it might be a little scary

7. maxvamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

It definitely sounds like there may be a gap in this software space.

Max.

8. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I've heard about Synchronize X Pro:

http://www.qdea.com/pages/pages-sprox/sprox1_vtbnr.html

No idea if it's any good. Native on intel, runs on Tiger and Panther. Bootable backups. Free 7 day trial. Updates only changed files. It's $100 and makes new versions/upgrades free for 2 years. After that it's $50 for another 2 years of upgrades.

9. socks macrumors newbie

rsync gets my vote. I use it to create a mirror of my home folder, then I can just run it to update the latest files to the backup drive.

Those frightened by the terminal, http://archive.macosxlabs.org/rsyncx/intro.html is a GUI version that'll help you use rsync.

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I do it on a weekly (sometimes even biweekly) basis. My data is not important enough to get upset about loosing a few days of work.

11. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

It is, in fact, an excellent solution. CCC takes 1-3 hours to run depending on drive size, so best to run it at night. If you are talking about backing-up an enterprise system then this probably isn't the best forum. CCC is great for bootable copies. IMHO SuperDuper is better and also creates a bootable volume. You can schedule it to do a "smart" back-up which takes ~20 minutes for my 750GB drives (~400GB data).

Maybe you can be more specific about your needs. There are dozens of solutions, each with its own caveats. If you read various reviews on-line however, you be hard pressed to find a fault with SuperDuper.

12. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

13. savesteve macrumors newbie

I'm another vote for SD :). I have it clone the boot volume of my Mac Pro to an image file on another internal drive.

14. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

super duper is great.

first time you run it, it copies the entire disk to an external hd (you can even boot from it!)

then, every time after, you can have it only copy new/changed files across, so it remains up to date, but only takes like 5 mins to backup!

15. Grampa Joe macrumors member

I bought SD. I set it to backup every night at 9:30. I put my iMac G5 to sleep before this. I can't see that SD has done a backup. Am I doing something wrong?

16. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Yup. A sleeping machine won't run processes. You could set your machine to back-up and then sleep after 30 minutes. That is, start the back-up process and set the Energy Savings panel to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity. You can also probably launch a post-flight that will put the machine to sleep, but I'm not sure how to do that.

17. tuqqer macrumors member

Another fan of SuperDuper. One of the frustrating things of many backup apps is their lack of a clear interface: you often don't know if what is being done is what you're trying to do. SD spells each step out very clearly. I set my G5 tower to come on at 4am, SD starts up and backs up to a second drive in the G5. I also back up to DVDs that are out of the office, twice a month.

18. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Apple recommends a few enterprise scale solutions under the Sys Admin section of the Apple Server Resources page.

http://www.apple.com/server/resources/#k

19. maxvamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

MONDO COOL!!!!

Thx.

Max.