Backup Recovery

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cretep, Sep 1, 2007.

1. cretep macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

I have a Powerbook with a corrupt operating system.

I connected the drive to a PC and copied all the files to it.

I had the intention to get the drive sorted by apple who were going to wipe the drive (this has been done and i now have the drive back working correctly with no files).

When i copied the files, there was a large 26Gb file under the profile name, I take it this contained the pics and music ect.

I have now copied that large file back to the working powerbook but cannot do anything with it, when i try to open it, it asks me for a password, i enter my normal password but it will not accept it.

I am desperate to get my documents back.

I hope this is all clear.

Regards

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

What you are describing sounds like you were running FileVault encryption on the old install. With FileVault, your user home directory is stored on disk in an encrypted disk image which is encrypted with a 128 bit key derived from your account's login password.

Are you trying to open the image using the password for your user account on the old drive? Is that a different password than the one you're using now on the new drive?

3. cretep thread starter macrumors newbie

sparseimage file

The large file I am trying to open is a sparseimage file, this is the one that keeps asking for password

Hope this helps

I am trying to open the image with the password from the old install, apple set the password to "apple" on the new install which I have changed back to the old password

4. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Yes, that sounds like a FileVault image. And you are using your old password, the one from the old drive?

5. cretep thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

I have read up a little more on sparseimages and does anybody know if I need to create a new user account and set its details to teh old account or just try to reapir the sparseimage or both.

My current account does not have the same name as the old account (the pre formatted account), but the password is the same.

Thanks

6. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I don't think you need to do either. First off, it doesn't sound like the sparseimage is corrupted or in need of repair. Secondly, you shouldn't have to create a new user account to open it.

I don't know why your old password isn't working to open the old image file, but that *should be* all that you need to do.