Backup related question.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jinxednuance, Feb 26, 2011.

1. jinxednuance macrumors regular

Hi, if I install Windows 7 on my Air, and then decide to get a new Macbook, will the feature of switching computers backup and restore Windows 7 on the new Mac or will it leave it on the old one?

Thanks

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Time Machine will not back up or restore your windows partition, however, you can find software called Winclone that will do that for you.

3. jinxednuance thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, assuming I don't back it up and install a fresh copy, wouldn't Windows not allow me to do so since I already have a copy on a different computer? I think I have a limited number of installs, no?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

NOTE: Winclone is designed to backup and restore to the same system, not to move to different hardware. BEWARE: There be dragons there if you choose to use Winclone for purposes other than its design.

One per license. (Unless you bought a family pack).

If you bought an OEM/System Builder license it wil definitely complain even though you will still likely be able to move your license from one machine to another. (The old install will get deactivated and if you use it it will probably deactivate the new one too.).

Retail licenses will ask you to reactivate, but won't force you to call Microsoft. So if you want a "portable" license stay away from OEM/System Builder.

B