Backup/Restore someones iPhone on my Mac

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by martosprint, Apr 18, 2015.

1. martosprint macrumors 6502

Is it possible to let my son backup his iPhone on my Mac using iTunes without screwing up anything with my iPhone, iPad, etc? Say if his computer was broken or inoperable or something. Would it work with him using his apple ID and password on my computer. I've always wondered about that but never looked into it before.
    thanks for a reply...

2. mhunter6378 macrumors regular

There's a couple of things you could do. You could set up a user account for your son on your Mac and then transfer his iTunes content from his computer to iTunes under his user account on your Mac. By doing so, you could sync and back up his iPhone on your Mac under his user login. Alternatively, you could just run a backup on your Mac but be careful here. You must open iTunes and go into preferences for devices and turn off auto sync when connected before connecting his iPhone. Otherwise when the sync starts it will erase the data on his phone and restore from your iTunes. iPhones sync to one computer, one iTunes library. When you connect his iPhone and it is recognized in iTunes, control click the iPhone icon and select backup. Or you could just back up his iPhone on iCloud and not use the computer at all.

3. martosprint thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. He would be better off backing it up to iCloud. But I could show him how to back it up using iTunes on his window computer also.