backup/restore windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by zao8350, Feb 17, 2010.

1. zao8350 macrumors regular

so here is my problem, i made my windows partition too small. i use it mainly for games and didn't fully realize the size of games these days. i decided to use a 500gb hd that regrettably is USB. i kept windows on my mac but moved steam and all the games onto the hd. now everything is slow to load (naturally) and it just isn't a great experience. what would i need to do to backup windows onto the hd, delete my partition, make a new bigger partition, then restore onto my mac? thanks much!

2. zao8350 thread starter macrumors regular

thank you very much sir!

noticing your name and avatar, i'm attending UGA right now

edit: i should have said this earlier, i am windows 7. winclone doesn't say anything about it and i dont want to lose anything. any info about it working fine with w7?

3. zao8350 thread starter macrumors regular

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. zao8350 thread starter macrumors regular

6. zao8350 thread starter macrumors regular

so i've run into a lot of issues. I have both windows and osx backed up, but my mbp's hd won't partition. it keeps saying stuff about certain files can't be moved.i tried bootcamp then started trying in disk utility. at the moment i'm erasing all free space and if that doesn't work it seems i'll have to wipe and restore which i'm not looking forward to. any ideas why? the order of things i did was backup windows with winclone, delete windows partition, then try to create a new one.