Backup restores everything?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stanny, Jan 30, 2009.

1. stanny macrumors 6502

I am about to restore my phone to install the new 2.2.1 on my 2g Iphone. Will Itunes backup restore all my apps and highscores?

2. sam3020 macrumors 6502

sam3020

yes your iphone does backup all your game data and app data when you do an update

3. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It will have to resync your Apps but, the App data (high scores etc) will be preserved.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Remember, your photos, videos, and songs are not part of the backup.

Those things should all be on your computer, but I thought I should make sure you know since I've seen some people think otherwise. If you took photos with your iPhone camera be sure to copy them off first, or they will be lost!

5. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

Sorry buddy, that's incorrect. My camera roll was preserved fully after the update. No photo's lost at all. You had me worried, so I had to check! :D

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You're right. Camera Roll photos are preserved in the Backup, but I think synced photos are not.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, good to know!

But yes, the rest of the media isn't saved.

That SHOULD be fine for most people, but I've seen a few "I took my songs off my computer" posts from time to time, so it's worth mentioning.

8. redman042 macrumors 68020

I recently did a restore just to "clean up" my phone and help it perform better. I followed instructions I found elsewhere on this forum to restore icon positions on my springboard and make sure all application saved items (saved games, etc.) were restored. I ran a phone sync and backup, then restored the firmware, let itunes resync everything, then did a "restore from backup" on top of that. Worked great. You have to turn off auto syncing first so that itunes won't over-write the backup you did right before the restore with a new one right after the restore.