Backup RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Trogloxene, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Trogloxene macrumors regular

Just a friendly reminder to backup your important files RIGHT NOW!

Just pretend that a freak lightning bolt in going to hit your powerline in a few minutes and you are at risk of losing all your important stuff that you have been working on. And don't forget to backup your email messages.

(User:UserName:Library:Mail)

My wife's old machine just started acting up today, and I found out that she had not backed up anything for about a year. After mulitple reboots I was able to mount her hard drive long enough to back up her work.

I made this post to remind people to backup today. :) I know, it's kind of dorky, but it really is important.

-T

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Haha, well you are right, it is quite important to backup, it was just very random, but thank you for the reminder, and yes, i do need to backup soon. :D

3. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

here's something that isn't so dorky:

drivesavers charges $500 to $2000 (more likely near $2000) to get files off of a dead hard drive.

a firewire hard drive is $99.

some cd/dvds are $19.99

4. longwood macrumors regular

depending on how much work i have been doing i try to backup every couple of weeks. i use superduper. what is everyone else using?

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

At home, daily automated backups of Users folder with Retrospect to 2nd internal drive. Monthly automated clone of entire boot drive to the same drive...

At work, scheduled nightly network backups of four Macs to server and then server is cloned straight after to external drive.

6. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Crashes into a pole.
    YOU TOLD ME TO BACK UP RIGHT NOW!!!! :D

Seriously though, I don't even have a good backup, never mind a recent on. :(

7. justG macrumors member

justG

SuperDuper! "SmartUpdate" every night. This doesn't do incremental stuff, though, so if I screw something up and then the scheduled backup runs, I dupe the screw-up. That makes me not very happy. So I'm figuring out how to add SmartBackup, which I recently bought, to the mix, having it backup the data folders I regularly muck with.

8. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

I was using iBackup, but it crashes every time I use it halfway thru. dont know why.

9. Queso macrumors G4

Did both yesterday, as with virtually every weekend. I use Silverkeeper to back each computer to external drives. Really important stuff (i.e. company accounts etc.) also gets burnt to CD which my company secretary then keeps at her house in case we have a fire.

10. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

wow I just tried silverkeeper! It works awesome!

It did my first backup easily, quickly, and securely to my ext drive.

Thanks!

11. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I hope i lose all my data. If anyone (the NSA in particular) saw what sensitive documents I have, I'd simply "disappear".

haha, just kidding.

but I really hope I do lose all my data. I'm better off with out it. Imagine, being data free!

12. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

I actually have no way to backup, other than goin buying an external HDD. I will probably do that soon, but still.

Time Machine and an external HDD will solve all problems.

13. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Thanks for reminding me, I just downloaded and used Silverkeeper, it works very well!

14. longwood macrumors regular

with silverkeeper does that allow booting from the backup?

15. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'm not sure, but it does allow you to backup on boot :)

16. Blubbert macrumors 6502

It is capable of creating a bootable clone of your HD, however, it will unhide the files on your computer that are hidden, like system files. For full clones, SuperDuper is without competition.

17. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I've been using SmartBackup at least once a week without a hitch. Great app, IMO.