Backup size (photos)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Intenost, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Intenost macrumors member

Intenost

I got a 256gb IP7+, which is great as I have a lot of photos, media and apps.

In particular, I have around 172gb of photos on iCloud, and store them on my phone using the optimized storage option.

The problem -- since i have the space on my phone, all 172gb are being stored on the phone, and when I backup my phone, it's backing up 172gb of Photos from my phone, back to my computer (which already has 172gb of these photos on disk in the desktop Photos app, plus they are also residing in my iCloud storage). Making things even worse, they were getting sucked into my Time Machine backup for yet another copy, although I just excluded that.

Ok to get to the point, anyone know of any way to turn off including these photos in the iOS backup as I don't need or want another copy of these photos?

Thx!

2. noobinator macrumors 601

Can't you just turn off photos on iCloud backup in options?

3. Intenost, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016

Intenost thread starter macrumors member

Intenost

Thanks for the reply. In hindsight my question wasn't clear that I'm not using iCloud backup, I'm using wifi or USB to backup directly to my Mac Pro, so the backup in landing in on my main disk (SSD) in Library-->Application Support-->MobileSync folder.

My point about iCloud is I am using iCloud to store my photo library directly via photos. So I have all the photos (originals) on my Mac, copies in iCloud, copies on my TimeCapsule, and then backups of the photos on my iOS devices on my mac SSD, which is over 200gb including my phone (which sucks down the whole library as it has 256gb, and another 40 gb on my iPad backup, which sucks down less as it only has 128gb).

So I'm wondering if using wifi or usb to backup if Photos can be turned off? Otherwise I need to live with 200gb of storage on my main drive for backups of photos I have in at least 3 other places.