Backup SMS Messages

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by cdal1, Jun 23, 2009.

1. cdal1 macrumors member

I am looking to transfer my sms messages to my pc.

I have searched the net and all I can find is a program called tansee, but its kinda expensive for this ($20).

Is there any other way to get this done?

Thanks

2. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

If you are taking about your iPhone (as opposed to iPod Touch texting app), the iTune's backs up saves your conversations for you.

3. adster macrumors regular

PhoneView also does it, but that's $20 as well. I guess I should ask if you're on a Mac or a PC.

Pause...

Ok, so it looks like you're on a PC. Lifehacker had an article about this. I've never used it, but apparently it works very well! It's a webapp, so no download necessary.

http://insend.de/

4. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Really? Wow. What setting did I miss?

5. cdal1 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I forgot to mention that I have the iphopne 3gs and am using a PC.

Adster,
    Thanks i'll try that.

6. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

None, it is automatically done for you. About Backups

7. cdal1 thread starter macrumors member

OK, I have found the itunes backup on my pc but I don't know which files are the sms messages. Is there a way to tell by file name? I tried to view each file but it wouldn't let me open it.

8. caitlin macrumors member

caitlin

Install SQLite Manager in Firefox.

Open 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28.mddata as an SQLite database.

All your SMS are stored in the "messages" table. You can export as a CSV from there.

(If I'm being too vague, let me know. I can detail out.)

9. cdal1 thread starter macrumors member

Caitlin,
    Thanks, but I don't have firefox i'm using IE.

I actually only needed about 23 sms saved, so I just copy and pasted them into an email. Didn't think about this until just a little while ago. Forgot it had a copy and paste feature. Also this is my first iphone, so i'm still learning.

Thanks for all your help.

10. caitlin macrumors member

caitlin

11. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Looks like you are not just new to iPhones but to internet too:D. IE is the worst internet browser. Period. Get firefox instead. It`s a lot more stable,faster and secure compared to IE. Also give Safari for Windows a shot and see if you like it.

And BTW you dont really need to save your messages manually if you are worried that you`ll loose them when upgrading the the iPhone software. You dont even need to worry if you are changing your iPhone(replacement or buying a new iPhone 4G:) in the future) too. I have used two iPhones in last two years and dozens of restores/updates later I still have all my SMS I received on my first iPhone carried forward to my next one as without any problem.

12. cdal1 thread starter macrumors member

imnosuperman,

I wasn't worried I would lose the messages, I needed them in an e-mail so I could print them out to show as evidence in other matters.

And as for IE, I have used it since I started going on the net and no problems yet, so I just don't see a reason to change. Just my opinion.

But thanks for all your help.

13. CBJammin103 macrumors regular

CBJammin103

Not to be nosy or anything, but might I suggest that sending a plaintext email of a text message conversation is really not very good "evidence" of anything. You could just as easily type whatever you wanted in the email and say it was the original text message.

Maybe a screen shot might be somewhat more substantial... at least you'd have to have opened Photoshop up to fake that. :rolleyes:

(Not implying that you want to "fake" anything, just that it wouldn't be hard to with an email, and so your "evidence" has limited reliability.)

14. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Just in case OP doesnt know(as he`s new to iPhone) you can take a screen shot of your iPhone at any time by pressing the Power/sleep button and the home button both at the same time. You`ll hear a sound confirming the photo being taken and the photo will be transferred to your iPhone`s camera roll.

15. cdal1 thread starter macrumors member

ImNoSuperMan,

Your right, I didn't know that. Well I guess I just learned something new on the iphone. :)

CBJammin103,

Thanks for the advice, but in my case fortunately I don't have to worry about that (being reliable evidence).

Again thanks for all the tips on getting this done. I still have lots to learn about this phone. Definately a lot different than my blackberry pearl.