Backup Software and Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lukin, Jan 6, 2009.

1. lukin macrumors regular

I was given a DLink DNS-323 for Christmas and have just spent the evening trying to figure out how to get it to work with OSX and my new Macbook Pro. I'm new to Mac.

Apparently, from what my reading on the net has produced, although Time Machine once worked with 3rd party NAS, it no longer does. So I can't use Time Machine which is what I wanted.

Does anyone have ideas on good backup software for Mac?

What's the best way to backup? I keep my music and pics on the laptop so I have them as I travel, but once a week or so I would like changed/added files copied to the NAS in a backup. I don't want to have to worry about what gets saved, when, etc. I don't want to have to copy my entire filesystem each backup.

I'm looking for some advice on how to do this. What have others done?

Thanks for answers to my questions!

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Look into Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper. Both can make bootable backups and also do incremental ones.

3. lukin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I will look into those.

Does anyone know why Apple removed Time Machine support for NAS? Will it be back or did they remove it so you're forced to buy Time Capsule?

Thanks

4. lukin thread starter macrumors regular

I've been reading up on CCC and SD.

Is it true that CCC is the only one that does incremental backups? I would like to have old versions out there in case I need to recover deleted files after a backup.

I don't see that SD does incremental backups, but I like it's smart backup feature of only backup up changed files.

Basically what I want is exactly what time machine does... kind of frustrated they made it not work with NAS.

I'm not sure I even want bootable backups. I've never used them before and I"ll admit I don't know much about them or how to use them. I just want my files (pics/docs/music etc) backed up. If I have to reinstall the OS, oh well, as long as I keep those files.

Thanks for any more help!

5. jampat macrumors 6502a

Retrospect is really good (but not free). It can backup mac, pc, and some varieties of linux I believe. We use it a work. One central computer can reach out and grab backups from the others. If all you are concerned with is the mac, people seem to love ccc and sd