Backup Software for Specific Files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zioxide, Jul 5, 2007.

1. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

So I'm looking for the best backup software so I can have a backup of a bunch of files. I just rearranged a ton of files so now I have my 80GB WD Passport free to use as a backup drive.

What I need is software that will just copy the directories I tell it to over to the external hard drive, and then synchronize it weekly.

I've seen apps like SuperDuper but apparently these just clone your whole drive and make a bootable backup. I just want a copy of the files on the external drive. Is it possible to do this with SuperDuper?

If not, anyone know any other programs that I can do this with?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I like using Carbon Copy Cloner, it allows you to just back up certain directories and files, as well as cloning the hard drive.

3. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

Backup 3 that's included with .Mac is an excellent app. You can select directories or Spotlight some files and schedule incremental backups.

4. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

Unfortunately I don't have .Mac so I don't have access to Backup 3.

I just tried out Carbon Copy Cloner but it won't let me select subdirectories. Basically all I want to do is backup /Users/me/Documents, /Users/me/Music, and /Users/me/Pictures.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Try using the Carbon Copy Cloner 3 beta, I used it and it's pretty stable, it should allow you to backup subdirectories.

6. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yes it is possible. You can set Super Duper to run scripts that mean it will only back up specified programs or files. Effectively you're doing this by telling it not to back up the rest, but the outcome is the same. I use this function a fair bit and it works flawlessly.

You can also set the smart backup which is much faster (only updates the files that you have specified and that have changed since last backup).

Super Duper is one of my favourite apps purely because it does everything it's expected to do and does it very very well. The only thing it's lacking is a full backup system over airport, but even this can be worked around apparently.

7. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

Hi,

What backup software should I use if I want to backup large (20-40 GB) iMovie "files" to multiple DVDs?

I tried Disco, but when extracted, they weren't readable. Furthermore, I had to cop from the terminal otherwise mutliple parts would overwrite the others.