Backup software for windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by maflynn, Apr 14, 2011.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've been spoiled with the ease of use of Time Machine and CCC. Since I'm running a windows partition on my desktop, what options are available that offer similar types of functionality.

I'm looking for a windows application to backup and/or clone my windows drive.

I used to use norton ghost back in the day but the reviews found on amazon are less then stellar.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I use the Windows Home Server provided backup agent (set and forget) to back up my W7 installs to the NAS. Acronis True Image Home 2010 is what I use for imaging and disaster recovery.

If you are on W7, the built in backup and imaging tools are supposed to be pretty decent, for once.

B

3. maflynn, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up. in the past, I've been disappointed with the built-in backup software.

Slightly off topic, How's windows home server. I'm running a single windows 7 box, though my wife uses an XP machine that needs backup capability as well. Would you think going to WHS be worthwhile? I use windows for work accessing servers on the corporate network and also running quickbooks.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Probably not with that setup.

I went from my Time Capsule to the HP Mediasmart EX490 to host my Time Machine backups and serve as a general purpose NAS for my home network. Three Macs each running both OS X and Windows, one PC (hackintoshable) plus the iDevices.

The hardware is decent. The software, not so much, WHS1 is based on XP/Server 2003 and has many limitations arising from that. It had several nice features like Drive Extender that made it friendlier to use than the typical RAID setup, but these have been removed for the new version that is about to be released. Plus, HP abandoned the market.

I'm planning on giving it one more chance. I'll rebuild it from scratch with a new boot drive and software install and if the stability and performance doesn't improve, I'm going to slap Ubuntu on the hardware.

Honestly right now I'd go for something like the high performance WD My Book Live http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=280, stick it on your network and back everything up to that. (Assuming 2 TB is enough space for you).

B

5. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member