BackUp Software: purchase advice

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bruno.mestre, Oct 17, 2008.

1. bruno.mestre macrumors newbie

Dear MacFriends

I am using Tiger and I need to do a lot of Backups of all the files I have in my sistem. Therefore I am considering buying an external HD and use it with a backup software.

I need some advice on the best software to buy because I want to syncronise it with my HD. Is there anyone that does the same features as Leopard's TimeMachine? I want to wait for Snow Leopard to come out before I upgrade.

Please indicate me the best software in your opinion.

Thanks

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Why wait for Snow Leopard? Time Machine is to die for and 10.5 is stable now.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

A lot of people around here use either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to handle backing up the entire contents of a drive to an external drive.

Both have the advantage of making a backup that is bootable (assuming you have a drive that is bootable with your Mac- FireWire for a PPC based Mac or FireWire or USB for an Intel based Mac)- so you can boot from the backup immediately if your hard drive should fail, something you can not do with Time Machine since it does not create a bootable backup.

If you should choose to use SuperDuper, be sure to pay to register it as several important features are disabled in the free trial version.