Backup Software To Server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GulfVetSAF, Apr 26, 2012.

1. GulfVetSAF macrumors member

GulfVetSAF

Got a quick question. I am a firm believer in redundant backups... I have Time Capsule for my Mac devices and a portable HD for my Windows (boot camp) partition etc. In the event of something unfortunate happening (like a bomb blowing up my home), and my Time Capsule & externals are destroyed... I'd like to have system backed up to a remote server.

I have a personal website that has unlimited storage. What I'm wondering is, is there a program out there that can run scheduled backups for me uploading them to my server (compressing, encrypting, uploading only changed files with an ability to schedule etc.).

I really don't feel like using FTP to transfer everything... for obvious reasons (security, lack of the aforementioned protocols etc.). It would only end up being a mess anyway as I wouldn't remember what files I've added/changed. I'm wanting to upload my movies, pictures, docs, and music (which is a significant chunk of hard drive space), but it would be nice to have something to do it for me!

I did just find AASync, but it's a purchased program (using the demo now just to check it out). But I'd prefer an open-source application and something that runs a little faster with a better interface.

Thanks in advance!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Reread your TOS for your web host. Typically those unlimited space providers specifically disallow using their storage for backups. Besides, unlimited really isn't unlimited, once you start using a lot of space, they typically throttle down your bandwidth and/or send you violation notices.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Make sure you encrypt everything that you're backing up online then.

Do you have a safe deposit box at a bank large enough to hold an external drive? Or a friend you trust to hold on to a backup drive? Of course I'd encrypt those drives.

4. GulfVetSAF thread starter macrumors member

GulfVetSAF

Thanks guys... I read up on my host's TOS and you were right (which I had actually thought might be the case).

For now, I'm just going to create an encrypted sparsebundle with my important docs- a small file which includes my will, and a few other things I want offsite and I'll just upload that to my server.

I looked into several of the online backup sites and they simply don't cut it considering the cost, alleged security and features available (SOSBackup looked the best but I'm declining).

I have a kick ass firesafe (commercial type) that is bolted to the floor inside my office closet here at home. I already have one external drive that I have my windows partition backed up on locked in there... so I just went ahead and ordered another one to backup my iMac using SuperDuper.

Appreciate the comments.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Have you looked at Crashplan? $3/month for unlimited backup of a computer... or $6/month for unlimited backup of all your computers. The encryption is done on your own machine. This is as close to "free" as I can imagine. My main computer backup set is 1.4TB. I back up 6 computers.

Jim