Backup software

Discussion in 'macOS' started by binisingh, Jan 17, 2013.

1. binisingh macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Im new to forum and have a quick question for you experts out there!

Just a quick intro, i work on a Mac laptop which is linked to a hard drive currently with all my work on it. I want to find a suitable backup software that will sync the hardrive and laptop hard disk, so when i remove the hardrive and place into another machine, all the info is exactly the same and i can then plug the usb back into the current machine and it recognises the files worked on, as the newest, and sync's back to laptop.

Apologies if this doesn't make sense, but is there anything like this available?

Thanks

Bini

2. praktical macrumors regular

praktical

Backup software

Sounds more to me like you want to run your OS from external HDD.

3. binisingh thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope. Jsut my work, similar to icloud back up or dropbox. Hope that makes more sense.

4. simsaladimbamba

But if you already store your work data on an external HDD and open it from there and save it to there, then there is no synching needed,

unless you want to copy the work data off the external HDD to your Mac's internal HDD first, then open it from the internal HDD second, then save it to the internal HDD third and as a fourth step you want an automatic process to copy the data back onto the external HDD?

Is that what you want?

If so, take a look into CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! or ChronoSync.

5. binisingh thread starter macrumors newbie

You've got it exactly - sorry it wasnt clear in the original message. Is it possible to do something like this?

----------

sorry, didnt see the links below ur text - thank you, will check it oiut!
    much appreciated!!

6. simsaladimbamba

That is a rather complicated procedure. Why do you copy the data off the external HDD in the first place?

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Try CarbonCopyCloner.

It can make an exact "clone" of your internal drive to the external. The backup clone is also bootable, you can use it to boot any other Mac that could normally be booted by that version of the OS.

The backup is in "plain old finder format" -- just plug it in and mounts on the desktop as another volume. You can't do that with a Time Machine backup.

8. binisingh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the advice Fishrrman - will try it out! Does it also figure out which version is newer and sync to other device? For example, if i do work on External HD and bring it back to the office, will it copy over the files that ive worked on, back onto the office machine?

simsaladimbamba – im working across two laptops, home and work, I could just work direct from the External device, but id like to make the most of my Retina's SSD hardrive, for its speed, but mainly because there is a back up at work, in case anyone needs my files or any corruption.

9. EudoraRocks macrumors newbie

Yep; I know of no other backup software with such complete, seemingly endless options. Like all software there’s a bit of a learning curve, but I doubt any other SW would be as simple to get up to speed with as CCC.

10. binisingh thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent - thanks for your help, much appreciated!