Backup software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dcaccount, Aug 22, 2014.

1. dcaccount macrumors regular

Hello,

I am looking for a software to backup some directories of my hard drive (documents, photos, etc.) into an external device, hard drive, usb stick and also to cloud repositories.

Can you please advise your recommendation?

Thanks a lot,
    daniele

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OS X comes with Time Machine.

There's also Carbon Copy Cloner and many people like Super Duper.

3. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I use Backblaze for cloud backup and run Time Machine on an external drive as well as use Carbon Copy Cloner to automatically clone my boot drive to a separate drive every night.

4. dcaccount thread starter macrumors regular

5. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

What is the size of your current internal hard drive?
    How much of that space is currently used?

Do you already have an external hard drive?
    If so, what capacity?

Do you have a USB flash drive?
    If you haven't yet bought one, I suggest you get a USB3 flashdrive with at least 64gb of space, 128gb would be better.

The problem with Time Machine is that it will quickly consume all your available backup space, and what's worse, the backups that it creates ARE NOT BOOTABLE (shouting intentional). This could become very frustrating in a "moment of extreme need" -- such as if you have an "I can't boot!" situation.

Cloning apps like CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper will create true bootable cloned backups that will be (for all intents and purposes) an exact, bootable copy of your internal drive. If you have an "I can't boot!" experience, just connect the clone backup drive and boot from that instead. Takes about 3 minutes, and you'll be up-and-running again with everything "right there in front of you".

At this point you can begin working on the internal drive to get it fixed.
    If for some reason the drive can't be fixed (hardware failure), just put a new drive in, and RE-clone your cloned backup BACK TO the replacement drive, and you'll be where you want to be.

CCC will even clone your recovery partition, and it can also "archive" old backup files, so that you don't lose previous versions of important files.

My opinion only, but for most backup situations CCC or SuperDuper are SUPERIOR to Apple's Time Machine. No comparison...

7. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I had nothing but problems with crash plan and larger files ~5GB, worse yet I am unable to uninstall it completely. It is designed for smaller file sizes and quickly bogs down otherwise.... although there is some variability, one location may be served by faster servers than another.

8. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

For file backups, etc, I rely on Time Machine. It's the most seamless backup software - it's built-in!

For a bootable hard drive, I use SuperDuper.