Backup Solution help . .

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jamin100, Dec 15, 2010.

1. jamin100 macrumors 6502

I'm having a think about my current backup solution as i've recently got into photography and dont want to loose any of my images.

I have a 24" imac with a 640GB Hard drive. I do a Bootable Carbon Copy Clone of this drive after i import any new photos or make any drastic changes to any of my library's to a 320GB WD Passport and take it to my parents.

Then connected to a airport extreme i have 2 WD Mybook hard drives. Drive A is 1TB and holds all my master RAW images that are on my imac's HD. It also holds things like personal movies and any other documents that are on the imac. The only thing that it holds that are not backed up anywhere are Movies or TV shows.

Also connected to the AE is a 640GB WD Mybook (Drive B) this is purely for time machine backups.

The only issue i can see so far is that the WD passport drive is only 320GB so once my imac drive fills up past the 320GB mark i wont be able to do a CCC backup. I'm currently using about 230GB on my imac so have a little time before i need to upgrade that drive.

Now, the imac is in our dining room and my wife does NOT want drives hanging off the imac cluttering the place up, hence the reason why there connected to the AEBS and hidden away in a cupboard...

Can anyone suggest any improvements that need to be made to my setup?

I've attached a diagram to explain things a little better.

TIA

Attached Files:

2. jamin100 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. jamin100 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

But seriously, I picked up a 1TB WD Passport for $99 at Costco about a month ago. Your scheme is sound, you just need a larger drive for your CCC backup.

You might also want to increase the size of your TIme Machine drive as your iMac fills up it won't be able to keep up.

B

5. carmen214 macrumors newbie

I'm new to a Mac and new to this forum. I set up my network and have a Mybook attached to the AEBS USB port which works fine. The problem now is Time Machine says I cannot backup to the HD attached this way yet it sounds like the OP is doing this so I would appreciate any suggestions. Sorry if this is a little off topic but I am interested.