Backup solution

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dannywaugh1, Jun 21, 2012.

1. dannywaugh1 macrumors member

Hey all!

Iv been thinking about buying a 27'' imac soon moving from windows to osx and want a good backup solution. I already have 2tb external usb 2 drive that I use with my pc that already has all music docs videos etc.
    But I was thinking about a time capsule 2tb not only for backup but for the wireless also.

My plan would be to have the time capsule to work with time machine and the other 2tb as an extra backup witch I would run each month maybe.

I also have been looking to replace the usb 2 external with a 2tb usb 3 Western digital my book essentials(this one) or the 2tb my book studio 2 witch has firewire 800(this one)

Reason to replace the external is only it is getting on old now.

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

if you're getting an iMac I would go with a wired thunderbolt solution because it will give you much greater speeds during larger backups than the wireless time capsule.

3. dannywaugh1 thread starter macrumors member

I never thought of it that way. i already have a wireless router so it would be a waste I suppose.
    Only thing with thunderbolt solution is they are a little expensive.

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

For use as additional backup space, a USB 2 drive will work just fine. And you can hook it to the Time Capsule for wireless access and expanded file sharing space.

Let the iMac backup to the internal Time Capsule's internal hard drive as the primary backup solution and use the external hard drive space for file sharing and the secondary backup you mentioned.

5. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

i would say worth the extra, or hold out a little till they are a bit cheaper.

6. dannywaugh1 thread starter macrumors member

I have been looking at the thunderbolt drive and found this. Seems good user serviceable also which is good and can be daisy chained.

7. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

seems like an OK choice.