Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I used SyncBack SE on Windows but am having a very difficult time finding an OS X equivalent. I made the switch to Mac about a month ago and I have been going crazy not having a backup solution.

I've tried Carbon Copy Cloner but it doesn't allow me to backup to my NAS drive. I've also checked out SuperDuper! but it will not allow me to select individual folders.

Why the heck is this so difficult? I thought Macs were abotu simplicity? I don't want to wait for Time Machine... I've already tried it and you have to be using AFP if you want to backup over a network which is a no go for me.

So any recommendations?

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
Retrospect

I'm a fan of Retrospect. I've used it for years. For $99 I can back up my machine and two other Macs on our home network, fully automated, to an external drive every single night.

I can define subfolders or back up entire volumes. I need only spend a few minutes defining the script (what to back up, back up to where, and when) one time and then I never have to think about it again. It runs each night at 2am and I get a notice if anything went wrong (and there's a log that tells me exactly what it did or didn't do each night).

After about three months, the file to which the incremental backups are being written becomes unwieldy in size and I delete it and start a new one.

Easy cheesy.

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I'm a fan of Retrospect. I've used it for years. For $99 I can back up my machine and two other Macs on our home network, fully automated, to an external drive every single night.

I can define subfolders or back up entire volumes. I need only spend a few minutes defining the script (what to back up, back up to where, and when) one time and then I never have to think about it again. It runs each night at 2am and I get a notice if anything went wrong (and there's a log that tells me exactly what it did or didn't do each night).

After about three months, the file to which the incremental backups are being written becomes unwieldy in size and I delete it and start a new one.

Easy cheesy.

Retrospect looks like it is a classic app... not gonna use it but thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else?

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Chronosync

Well it looked promising and I've been testing it since last night. However everytime I run the backup it recopies these selected files even though they already exist on the destination and haven't been modified. WHY WHY WHY!

Oh well checking out Smart Backup now... "solution" #4 sheesh.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Well it looked promising and I've been testing it since last night. However everytime I run the backup it recopies these selected files even though they already exist on the destination and haven't been modified. WHY WHY WHY!

Oh well checking out Smart Backup now... "solution" #4 sheesh.

Hmm, it shouldn't. It doesn't do it when I do incremental backups. Maybe there is a setting somewhere.

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Hmm, it shouldn't. It doesn't do it when I do incremental backups. Maybe there is a setting somewhere.

Yeah I don't know why it keeps copying these certain files over and over (about 700MB of data out of 60GB). How do you have it setup to do incremental backups?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.