Backup solutions, need help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheHorror, Feb 1, 2014.

1. TheHorror macrumors newbie

Hello folks!

I have a backup problem i can't seem to manage on my own, so i turn to you for help.

This is the situation:
    I'm running a shared iphoto library on an external USB drive connected, and shared as a network drive (air drive?) trough our TimeCapsule (TC). I do this because the wife and me have one laptop each, and both want to be able to edit the same family iphoto library without the headache of permissions.

On our network we also have a 6TB NAS with redundancy (Raid5), which is where we keep all media, music, a manually made iphoto backup and other stuff that we wish to keep safe. The NAS is running AFP on the network since we have no windows machines. There is also a Mac mini (os 10.9) which mainly serves as a Plex media server.

I occasionally make a backup of the iphoto library, simply by copying it from the network drive to the NAS using the mac mini. However I would like to automate the process on the mac mini, and also find a solution that dosent copy all 120GB of data each time.

I've tried some Rsync Gui's with no real luck. Everything runs extremely slow or not at all.

Do you guys have any ideas?
    //Nils

2. explode90 macrumors newbie

I don't have a great solution, although I'd love to hear of one... But can I ask why you don't use the NAS to store the shared iPhoto library instead of the external drive connected to the TC?