backup & startup disc

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jensstrandberg, Feb 24, 2008.

1. jensstrandberg macrumors newbie

Hi all.
    I have two questions that I was hoping someone could help me with. I am running my macbook pro on 10.4.11. I have never backed up my files on my computer and I feel its about time but how do I do it? Can I compress it so I dont have to back up 58GB?

My second question is that I have realized that my startup disc needs to be repaired. The problem is that I forgotten my installation cd/dvd at home. Is it possible to use my friends? Or does it have to be the disc that came with my computer when I bought it.

Thanks to everyone that can help me with my questions.
    Best
    J

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

There are a number of ways to back up. Did you get any backup software with your external hard drive? Lacie's Silverkeeper worked well for me on 10.4.

There are quite a few other backup programs out there.

Backing up 58 gigs takes less time than you think. I wouldn't compress it, you run the risk of data corruption.

I recently got a Mac Mini and tried to use the install disk to install 10.5.2 on my G4 Powerbook. No such luck. If your friend's disk is for a Mac Book Pro, it might work but it might not.