Backup Strategies for SSD + HD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wingkng, Mar 4, 2014.

1. wingkng macrumors newbie

Hi, I am new to the forums, so forgive me if this is already addressed.

I just got a used iMac 2011, with a 256 GB SSD and a 3 TB HD. It's a sweet setup. I have put my user folder with all my data in the 3 TB HD, and the SSD is my startup disk. Now I am trying to figure out how to backup everything. I believe in multiple backups, and my thought was to use both Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner (which I already own).

I already am planning to do both Time Machine and CCC for all my data backup. As for my startup disk on my SSD, is it necessary to use Time Machine, or should I just do multiple copies using CCC? I plan to keep a copy of my backups in my office, and rotating them on a regular basis. I would rather not use any internet backup solutions.

BTW, I have a Newertech Voyager Q dock that I can swap out drives very easily.

Any ideas?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

You didn't say how much space of the 3tb drive is currently used up.

You might get another 3tb "bare drive".
    Then, partition it into two "pieces".
    The first partition should be about 256gb.
    The second can be whatever is left.

Then, use CarbonCopyCloner to clone the SSD to the first partition.
    Use CCC to clone the HDD to the second partition.

The backup drive should be bootable if you need a second boot source (and the "I can't boot!" time eventually comes for everyone).

This assumes that the Voyager Q can support a 3tb drive....

3. wingkng, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014

wingkng thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. Right now my startup SSD and my HD have less than 1 TB. I wanted to "future proof" for my future needs as I accumulate more family photos. I have a couple of 1 TB bare drives and one 2 TB bare drives I could use for what you are suggesting.