Backup strategy advice/recommendations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by grani13, Sep 29, 2016.

1. grani13 macrumors member

After a long long time thinking about the "best" way to organise my file storage needs (see thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/nas-buying-advice.1975432/#post-23394182).... and neglecting my backups as I was running out of space....the unthinkable happened:
    My car got broken into, and a HDD with personal and professional data spanning 10-15 years stolen - with NO backup. (not talking about the rest that was stolen, grrrrr) 

Luckily, I was able to retrieve the data as I had the content on my company's network a couple of years ago, and they were able to recover it. What a lucky son of a .... I have been, this will certainly be a lesson learned.... 

Now I am more than ever motivated to sort out my storage needs ASAP: 

What I got at the moment is roughly: 

• 2TB of photos and video files 
    • 2TB of movies 
    • 250GB of music 
    • 0.5GB of personal files 

I do expect a growth of approx 250-300GB per year (photographs over the past few years are 150GB per year, and I would like to get more into video) 

I was intending to get a 4bay NAS to store it all, I was painfully reminded that a NAS is also not a backup solution and I need more redundancy. 

I do need some help and sense-check to figure out a smart way to keep all my data save while having the least amount of excess (i.e. keep costs in check) and keeping thing manageable.  

My idea was: 

• Get a 4bay NAS and start with e.g. 2x4TB (Raid 0). Move all the movies and music there. 
    • Keep personal files on the iMac 
    • Keep all the photos on the external HD (a must anyway, otherwise it'll be too slow) 
    • B/U personal files and photos with time machine to the NAS (Can I actually B/U files from 2 different HDDs into 1 time machine?) 
    • B/U personal files and photos with time machine to a 4TB external HD in regular intervals. Fill remaining space with music/movies. Keep in safe off-site location (e.g. office) 

The NAS can grow over time, e.g. by adding another drive to get Raid 5 and redundancy. I understand that the above strategy will keep some of the movies without B/U (which is a minor issue, I can re-rip them). Photos and personal files which are my biggest concern have all 2 B/U in different locations.  
    Some of the personal files I will also move to "the cloud". 

Does the above strategy make sense? Anyone have any better suggestions?  

thanks 
    grani13 

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Cloud backup. Our computers backup locally to a 4tb disk via time machine, but the 'real backup' we have, IMO, is Crashplan where we have several TB as well and I never, ever have to think about it. We've been backing up to them for years and I have never had an issue. Restores are easy, and can be done from any computer anywhere, yet security is high so long as you utilize their highest levels of encryption. I would never go back to locally managed backups.